• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Very Stuck Tail Shed

SomethingTegu

Hey all

My Tegu had a difficult shed recently. All of it went off except some on the half end of his tail. It's really hard to get off. His diet and enclosure requirements are spot on, he gets a warm/luekwarm bath every day, now with oil in it but even that isn't helping loosen the shed skin. Can someone give me some advice? I'm getting a bit worried even though he shows no signs of discomfort.

tommylee22

wow I'm going thru the same thing with Biggin, I will say I bumped up his humidity to 70 from 65 and limited the ventilation and the shed is coming off in rows of scales vs. all at once. I would love some explanation around this.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea please because when Godzilla she'd his body he left the tail and head now he is shedding again this is crazy

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

SomethingTegu

YEah, I just don't get it. The humidity is very high, I mist his enclosure twice daily very well, when I go in the enclosure combined with the heat it's enough to make me sweat easily. He eats a variety of different approved fruits for regular consumption. He is very hydrated. I dust his food with calcium every day, multi-vitamin powder just about every day. I wonder what is going on.

SomethingTegu

The left sliding glass door is open but it closes. I leave small cracks in the doors for air for now. That yellow thing that looks like a rock is a humid hide.
290zzph.jpg
james.w said:
Any pics of the enclosure?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Give it a couple days, sometimes the tail takes a bit longer. Just keep any eye on it. Wrap a warm wet towel around it and hold it there for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day. You can also let him pull his tail through the towel while you hold it around the tail.

Logie_Bear

When Ezzy shed, it always seemed to come in spurts. Body and legs at once, head would be one big scale at a time - sometimes a full week later, and the last 3/4 of her tail always took longer. If it doesn't want to pull off at all and you're doing all the tricks for humidity, it may just not be ready to come off.

SomethingTegu

Okay, I was able to pick up a decent sized patch of shed off. It was a little difficult, it's dry and well attatched, but now it will be easier to assist him in this shed issue! I didn't use the towel method yet, was going to but then I was able to get the shed off. Right now I'm soaking him in the tub for an hour with warm water and some oil. I will use the towel method afterwards if I can't pick the shed off easier.

SomethingTegu

I got most of his tail shed off. The end is going to be a little more harder I think. I noticed his knees are kind of wrinkly, and they look sort of, very sort of, foggy. I'm not sure if it is the topsoil inside of the enclosure making him look dirty, it can do that, or if it is old shed skin... I know he is not dehydrated. I see him drink water every day multiple times a day, he eats fruit just about every day, roaches, raw meats every two or three days, and whole prey once a week. Does anybody have close up pics of their tegu's hind legs I could get a good comparison?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu