• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First ART, a few issues..

Compnerd7

I purchased my first Argentine Red Tegu from a breeder Saturday, and I am absolutely loving him!

I am however, having a few issues with him that are making me very worried:

2 things; one, he is not eating. I have offered him ground beef, ground turkey, eggs ( cooked ) collard greens, whole wheat bread, cockroaches and crickets. I haven't really pushed the issue and have just left the food in his dish, but he doesn't touch it. He is however, quite " plump " so I thought maybe he might be a little impacted. I soaked him in warm water today for about half an hour, and he did not poop, nor has he pooed since I've had him.

Second, he buries himself in his substrate every night, and will not come out unless I encourage him. Temps in the cage range from 77F on the cool side and 105 on the warm side. The humidity is at 75%.

When he is awake, he is very active walking all around his cage investigating, then goes and spreads out in his main basking spot, then repeats going back to his routine.

Should I just leave him alone to do his thing and get comfortable? I don't want to interfere if he is just getting use to his new environment, but I can't help but feel anxious over him not eating and not wanting to come out of his burrow.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's that time of the year when gu's are down for hibernation, leave him be is what I suggest.

Compnerd7

TeguBuzz said:
It's that time of the year when gu's are down for hibernation, leave him be is what I suggest.

I've read a lot about how they go into hibernation, I know with every Bearded Dragon I've gotten, their first year I keep them from hibernating by just keeping normal temps because I want them to grow. Can I do this with my Tegu? If I Keep his temps and humidity up, will it keep him from hibernating?, or is he going to be stubborn about it haha. If he Truly wants to hibernate, is it best to just let him sleep; or is it going to hurt / stress him out to force non-hibernation?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some will hibernate and others won't, its just the luck of the draw. You can keep the temps up and the lights on but if the tegu wants to sleep out the winter you won't really be able to stop him. Its best to just let the tegu do what it does naturally, otherwise there can be stress and health problems that come up.

Compnerd7

chelvis said:
Some will hibernate and others won't, its just the luck of the draw. You can keep the temps up and the lights on but if the tegu wants to sleep out the winter you won't really be able to stop him. Its best to just let the tegu do what it does naturally, otherwise there can be stress and health problems that come up.

Alright, I'll play the waiting game and hope he stays awake:dodgy:

Thanks all for the input and your patience!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Exactly what Chelvis said. These gu's can be stubborn as you put it, and if they want to sleep, nothing can stop them!

Let's see some pics?

Compnerd7

TeguBuzz said:
Exactly what Chelvis said. These gu's can be stubborn as you put it, and if they want to sleep, nothing can stop them!

Let's see some pics?

I'll post MANY pics tomorrow when he's awake, or when I wake him up for his first photo shoot haha. He has a great attitude, and loves to be held... he's just acting like a snoralax right now haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aselph