• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help!!

ReptiiGuys

So i have a red tegu named Zeus. He is very smart and had a huge appetite. But once he came out of hibernation he stopped eating and began to go weaker he does this thing where he freaking out an lays on his back and i have to flip him over! Today i found a cockroach living in his cage (i do clean his cage every 2 months) and i began to wonder if maybe the cockroach gave him stress whille he slept or even if the cockroach bite him! I really want him to grow too his full size as he is only 6 months old. Thank you for reading! - Hunter

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello Hunter. From what I've read in your post, the fact that your tegu is "freaking out" and flipping on its back, does not sound good. Would you mind posting pictures of your tegu, its set up - and give us a description of how your tegu is kept, i.e. lighting, cage size, diet, substrate, etc.

Is your tegu showing any signs of tremors? Otherwise known as the shakes? If so, this could be a symptom of MBD. The laying on his back does not sound healthy or right.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think the cockroach had anything to do with his weakness.

I agree with TeguBuzz that it sounds like a nutritional related issue. My hunch is that his diet may have been low in calcium (ground turkey, pinkies, insects) before he hibernated. Low calcium can trigger some symptoms that include low appetite and weakness. If you can post all the information that Buzz asked for, we can help you with your husbandry.

Remember that we are not vets and if you have a serious concern about the health of your tegu, please find a qualified herp vet and get him checked out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutz4tegus