• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black Throat Monitor Babies

olympus

5 Year Member
All I have to say is that tegus are the best and those monitors look like all it takes is one slap to the face and your gone.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Monitors are appealing to me because of the unpredictalbe nature of them. I myself keep them to stimulate my mind . They are a different animal each day at times. I love the mean ones. It doesn't matter if it's a lizard or snake. It's all for the excitement. I love to be challenged every day . Call me a sick human . LOL but I love the gore and all that goes with it. My reasons seem strange to even me. But I enjoy myself so. That is all that matters to me.

dorton

5 Year Member
Harvey, If I had monitors, thats how I would want them. I would interact with them as little as needed, and just enjoy the wild side.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I'm glad we agree. I would like a really tame one also. Once they get big and think your not going to hurt them. They calm down quite a bit. But honestly I've had alligators that were tamer than the monitors I've kept over the years. LOL No lie But I've had some really cool ones too. Here is a sav that I owned for 5 years.
1797951newwebsitepagepics010.jpg

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
He was a little fat. But he was mostly just spread outsoaking up heat. He was a cool lizard. A friend of mine still has him. He is 8 years old.

Serafim

5 Year Member
Great I always miss the good debates Lol. I have owned and cared for many difrent species of Monitors. I care for an older savannah that is the tamest Lizard I have ever seen. His being tamed has come from Handling. I do not belive I have stressed him out or caused him any undue suffering. He was born in Captivity almost 11 years ago and is thriving. I take him out to allow him to roam clean his cage and bath him. I trust this guy around my small daughter and she handles him without fear. I don't think of him as an animal with a broken spirit he actually appears to enjoy his interaction with me. I pertsonally thought this was what we trying to accomplish as Bobby put it domestication. I also had recently a Nile monitor that was perhps the most vile creature I have ever encountered. He would not allow you to touch him without slapping you senseless with his tail or biting. He displayed aggressive behavior and wanted no part of being handled so I respected this and allow him to be left alone. My poiunt after all this. To each their own. Some may agree with handling their monitors others may not. But neither side is wrong. Thats what makes this such a great Hobby everyone does things that work for them. Just my opinion

dorton

5 Year Member
Harvey,
Lets see some pics! of the black throats, of whatever...post more up!
Later Dude
Justin

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Here are some new pics of the babies

Man these little dudes are growing like crazy. I really likew these guys. I may sell one because I only really want one anyway. I got 2 to make sure if one was sick or something. But they both are healthy and eating like crazy.
snakes024.jpg

snakes017-1.jpg

snakes014.jpg

dorton

5 Year Member
Hows their personality working out for you? There is someone here at a petshop wanting to trade one of theirs for some of my unused tanks. I think they look awesome, but haven't really researched their needs.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wess, they are looking great, they are showing some real nice colors. Congrats, you are doing a great job with them. :)

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Thanks guys . One of these little buggers is a little testy. But the other doesn't seem to mind being handled. As far as the care they are easy to take care of. Mine are doing well on Disoid roaches and pinkie rats. I really love the Monitors myself.
If it were me dorton I would trade if it is a good deal. But I wouldn't put much over $100 to $150 in a grown one.A small one I would allow $75.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I gave $80 bucks plus shipping for mine. They were babies. Nic Mole at FCR sells them for $75 ea all the time. Most are over 2ft too. He has some real deals on White throats too. Here is a link to his price list. I have ordered all kinds of stuff from this guy. He has always done me right.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.firstchoicereptiles.com/id3.html">http://www.firstchoicereptiles.com/id3.html</a><!-- m -->

G

shooting down another myth. there are so many.

http://www.dragonsindahouse.com
a houseful of tame BTs

Jan 2008 Reptiles Magazine: Otis made it to 10
His buddy Hector made it to 20

No, they do not die an early death from learning to get along with people. Please cease to perpetuate myths about monitors. Stress is a symptom more easily attributed to a neurotic keeper than a healthy lizard.

Raising an animal as feral is no proof they must be. It is only proof that you chose to do so.
It only takes one example to falsify the claim that they can not be tamed. There are plenty of tame monitors. If you don't know of any, get off the forums where it's taboo and broaden your horizons.

for bobby:
http://herptilyen.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=207
(If interested, chat me on PM. As the others seem incapable of grasping the fundamentals, let them remain in the dark.)

for the rest: When you stop imposing your prejudices, you may learn something.
They are not 'wild animals' if they are your captives. They are your charges and you raise them to be what they are. They will be what you taught them to be. You get the credit or you get the blame.
Michael Vicks is not someone to be held up as an ideal any longer.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Re: shooting down another myth. there are so many.

800lbGorilla said:
http://www.dragonsindahouse.com
a houseful of tame BTs

Jan 2008 Reptiles Magazine: Otis made it to 10
His buddy Hector made it to 20

No, they do not die an early death from learning to get along with people. Please cease to perpetuate myths about monitors. Stress is a symptom more easily attributed to a neurotic keeper than a healthy lizard.

Raising an animal as feral is no proof they must be. It is only proof that you chose to do so.
It only takes one example to falsify the claim that they can not be tamed. There are plenty of tame monitors. If you don't know of any, get off the forums where it's taboo and broaden your horizons.

for bobby:
http://herptilyen.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=207
(If interested, chat me on PM. As the others seem incapable of grasping the fundamentals, let them remain in the dark.)

for the rest: When you stop imposing your prejudices, you may learn something.
They are not 'wild animals' if they are your captives. They are your charges and you raise them to be what they are. They will be what you taught them to be. You get the credit or you get the blame.
Michael Vicks is not someone to be held up as an ideal any longer.
You know this thread wasn't started for a debate on how to keep them. But since it has been done again. I myself think you need to pull your head out of your own ass and take a breath. Cause your too full of yourself. Who are you to tell anyone how to keep an animal they bought and paid for. No one that has posted on this thread is in the dark. Most of the post have been made by intelligent reptile keepers. When the debate got started . Dude was just asking questions and some took it the wrong way. How the hell are people supposed to learn if assholes like you blast them everytime they ask a question. If you want to start a ******* debate why don't you go to Fauna with all the other assholes. Or start your own thread. Cause I am sick of the one I started . Being took to a level of bullshit like you are spiiting out. Everyone has their own way of doing things. They feel they are just as right as you are. All this tame as a puppy bullshit is just that bullshit. To make their reptiles sell for a few more dollars. If you don't have anything decent to say then piss off. Start your own thread. And leave mine alone. I hate having to read something some ******* posted. Cause he thinks he is a now it all. I myself wouldn't take advice from you . After reading your post you must be STUPID. I am sure I will catch hell over this post but oh well . I am sick of assholes like you ruining my threads. KISS MY ASS

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry 800lbGorilla AKA Dance With Savs, but you are suspended, this is not what these forums are about. I also will not put up with your inhumane training methods on these forums.

You have been suspended or banned from many forums, at some point you need to ask yourself why?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980