• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP HELP!!!!

Bryan

Hi, if you read this can you please help me out!!! I got a water monitor from the Hanmburg reptile show.... ( 10-15-11).. Im not sure if he has termites because he is moving slow, he will let you pick him up and wont try to move from your hands, I spray him down everyday, he likes to stay in his water bowl. He ate half of a hopper and thats it... He hasnt ate since then...... If you can help me out, thankyou, Bryan

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
What make's you think he has mites? What is your set up like, temps, size, humidity, how are you measuring the temps, type of substrate and all?

Pictures of the set up and lizard would be very very helpful.

roastedspleen

i cant really help out but i can tell you that termites wont affect a reptile as they eat wood not flesh
their is a monitor keeper on this forum and he will most likely ask for temps and humidity levels so you might as well post them along with pics of the setup

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:
What is your set up like, temps, size, humidity, how are you measuring the temps, type of substrate and all?

Bryan

ok what is your e-mail??
Strange_Evil said:
Strange_Evil said:
What is your set up like, temps, size, humidity, how are you measuring the temps, type of substrate and all?

ok what is your e-mail?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
You could inbox me, but it would be best to post it on this thread, this way more members can see it and chime in and you won't have to repeat yourself. its quite a few members with Monitor experience other than myself who can help.

Bryan

Strange_Evil said:
You could inbox me, but it would be best to post it on this thread, this way more members can see it and chime in and you won't have to repeat yourself. its quite a few members with Monitor experience other than myself who can help.

let me know when you get the pics please asap... thankyou for quik replys!!!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey Bryan,

Would you mind explaining the setup, temps, lighting, substrate and past/present diet?

Posting pics of the lizard and setup as stated before would really help.

Bryan

TeguBuzz said:
Hey Bryan,

Would you mind explaining the setup, temps, lighting, substrate and past/present diet?

Posting pics of the lizard and setup as stated before would really help.

temp- 95
setup- woodchips,waterbowl, food
lighting- what do you mean by that?? lol
food- hoppers

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pics will help, but more important what are the temps, basking and ambient? What is the humidity? what are you using to measure temps and humidity? What type of substrate and how deep is it? How big is the enclosure and what type is it?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member

Pic's are up.

Your going to need to make a lot of changes, one the substrate, switch to a 50/50 ,75/25(or what ever works for you) top/soil sand mix. You will need a much much larger cage, monitors do not do very we'll in glass tanks, and one that small it just won't do.

Your basking spot needs to be much hotter, only 90f? You want 130f for a wm that age, and in that cage if your not going to get it without cooking the monitor.

Are there any experienced monitor keepers around you that you could re home this animal with?

Your going to need to make a lot of changes, one the substrate, switch to a 50/50 ,75/25(or what ever works for you) top soil/ play sand mix. You will need a much much larger cage, monitors do not do very we'll in glass tanks, and one that small it just won't do. You'll need to get him into something larger ASAP. Your basking spot needs to be much hotter, only 90f? You want 130f for a wm that age, and in that cage if your not going to get it without cooking the monitor.

Are there any experienced monitor keepers around you that you could re home this animal with?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:

Pic's are up.

Your going to need to make a lot of changes, one the substrate, switch to a 50/50 ,75/25(or what ever works for you) top/soil sand mix. You will need a much much larger cage, monitors do not do very we'll in glass tanks, and one that small it just won't do.

Your basking spot needs to be much hotter, only 90f? You want 130f for a wm that age, and in that cage if your not going to get it without cooking the monitor.

Couldn't have been said any better. The substrate you got in there is wrong, too shallow, and when I asked about lighting, I meant what kind of lights/bulbs are you using but never mind that, all I see is a basking lamp. Whoever you got he/she from did a poor job of taking care of it's health. I'd take it in, but I think I've reached my cap. Keep us posted, I'd make a run to the vet as well.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry to say but that monitor is about 95% dead. You have a very small chance of him surviving much longer. It isn't your fault as most are in this condition when sold, (especially at expos) and most don't survive.

In order for him to have a chance you need to do what has been said in this thread. Fill that aquarium halfway with a topsoil/sand mix, Completely cover the top except the spot for the bulb. Get him a basking temp of 130-140, with the rest of the cage from about 82-92. Humidity needs to stay upwards of 70%. Eating isn't very important right now as it will stress him and he needs to be re-hydrated. DO NOT handle him at all, if you have a larger tank/cage for him it will be very beneficial. If you can't meet these requirements, I can guarantee he will die, and may die either way.

babyyitslove

I agree. Water monitors are not a great choice for first monitors. I just got one about a month ago and he didn't eat for a whole week. After he finally ate a Hopper, he'll eat one two-three times a week now. He wasn't handled at ALL for over three weeks. We still only handle him to remove him from his water dish to clean and refresh the water. He hides... constantly. So we put him in a low traffic room and covered three sides of his tank to make him feel secure. He has multiple hides and utilizes all of them.

These monitors are tricky. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't have the time and patience for them.

I'm sorry that he isn't doing well. I would take all of james' advice and hope for a turn around.

Good luck.

new2tegus

Just what james said, and get him to a vet asap. Any lizard, or any animal for that matter, that will let you pick him up, and not try to move, needs help. Many animals due to the way nature is, will hide it as long as they can, that's a compensation period, he's clearly not doing that anymore, which sadly means he's past the energy to fight. Get him to a vet, get a high humidity substrate for him to burrow in,get a good bulb setup and make sure his water is clean. Goodluck, and love him as much as you can, and hope for the best. I will be pulling for him.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Aardbark said:
This thread is so confusing. I cant tell who is talking to who.

What's confusing? Read it carefully, the OP could not post pictures so OP sent me them and i posted them for him. Then along with my posting of the pictures i gave my feedback and....

spidersandmonsters

I would seriously consider rehoming that monitor. No offense, but everything about the care and setup is wrong, and we will die as a result. The best option is to leave it in the care of someone who already has a proper set up, because you really would hate to spend the time and money on a custom enclosure only to have him die immediately. In addition, he may not survive the amount of time it would take to build and set up the enclosure. That poor guy obviously had a VERY rough life before you got him, so he is in need of an expert, not just a hobbyist. Please remember, I am a hobbyist myself, and would not be able to take care of a lizard in this condition either, it's just beyond normal keeping technique.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980