• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP HELP!!!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Riplee said:
Hi Bryan, U can call me if you need help.

If you have advice other than what has already been given, why not post it here so others who get in this same position can use it?

Riplee

5 Year Member
In this case
1.change the bedding to clean kitchen paper tower. you dont want let any dirt in the cage and its clear to see the monitor situation(whether ate food or not, hows the pop looks like, and what's in the pop). (dont forget mist a little bit to the paper tower. )
2. put a hide box in there. reduce the
3.the cage size is good, since he is a small baby right now and the bigger environment will make him more nervous.
4.move whole tank to a corner which you and your family wont be there very often.
5.leave live mice pinkies or little bit piece of chick breast or ground turkey overnight in tank, see if he will eat it.
6.if any chance you can get some NutriBAC, put some in the water bowl.
7.keep the temp 35-38C daytime , and 28-30c in the nighttime to help kill most of parasites.
8. change the water bowl to smaller size, (he couldnt soaking himself in it, but he can drink the water)

Hope he can get better.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
A lot of people totally disregard Monitor temp needs, and end up putting a them in small cages. You have to remember these animals need 130f+ basking spot, how could you possibly achieve something like that in a small glass tank and maintain a cool side of 85f? At this point its not much he could do, the stress of a new cage may kill it, but it cannot stay in something that small and hope for it too survive. Try getting a low watt bulb,50watt and raise the basking spot close enough to get at least 125f(130f is best). Leave the monitor alone and cover the sides of the tank.

Bryan

thankyou for all your advice..
Strange_Evil said:
A lot of people totally disregard Monitor temp needs, and end up putting a them in small cages. You have to remember these animals need 130f+ basking spot, how could you possibly achieve something like that in a small glass tank and maintain a cool side of 85f? At this point its not much he could do, the stress of a new cage may kill it, but it cannot stay in something that small and hope for it too survive. Try getting a low watt bulb,50watt and raise the basking spot close enough to get at least 125f(130f is best). Leave the monitor alone and cover the sides of the tank.
the basking spot is about 135 and the cool side is about 90

Riplee

5 Year Member
I wont debate any more sentences in here. I just share my experience. Tons of wild caught monitor import to Asia. Thats how Asian reptile keeper did when they receive wild caught babies. Not like here, there is no professorial reptile vet in most of Asian countries. we need do everything by ourselves.

If you guys think the regular monitor care sheet can be used in any situations. How about we just throw this little guy back to Asia? also check the local weather of these guys.

Just one thing I want to measure, before you made suggestions, you should had the same situation or at least you had taken care of that kind of monitor for a long time.

PS: I am a board manager of monitor section in a over 200 thousands registered members reptile forum in Asia.

Ok. Stop here. Hope the little guy can make it.

Thanks.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a water monitor currently that was in pretty bad shape when I got him, most are. The main problem with them is dehydration, a glass tank, high heat, and paper towels will not get this monitor hydrated. I am not going off of any care sheet, this is from experience.

Bryan, keep us updated.

Riplee

5 Year Member
I forgot motion one more thing, for the last point, you should switch back with a large one about 5 -7days later.

hades123

I have experience with niles and when they are young like that they will either try to bite or they will act sluggish due to stress. Monitors will act defensive or just lay there because they are at a point where the stress is too much and they just give up fight. As for the soaking he could have mites which is similar to how a dog gets fleas. They will soak themselves because it feels good because mites bit the monitor the way a flea bits a dog or cat. Nile monitors do like water so a bigger cage is definitely needed. You also should have a bigger bowl in there. You could switch out the bedding for newspaper or paper towels which would help show if it in fact has mites, because you will see them on the paper. They look like little black dots. Make sure it has a hide box and don't handle for him for a while either. Also do not feed on the substrate u have now because if he ingests it, it could cause inpaction.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All these suggestions would work if the monitor was in less of a bad shape. Like James said earlier, this little guy probably won't make it and all the alterations to its enclosure will probably stress it out even more thus resulting in death. I'm really hoping this monitor pulls through, but he's not looking good at all.

Keep us posted.

hades123

It's unfortunate that you really have be careful at these expos. It seems that the quality of some of the animals has gone down as the popularity has increased.

Sendream

Not sure why people have to criticize other peoples opinions/ experiences, it's a forum we should be free to express our opinions without being criticized by other members! The person receiving the information can try whichever stategy they feel will work best in THEIR situation not the criticizers. There are people who tell others they are wrong... Hmm what makes your opinion right compared to these other people who are breeders or have personal experience for 10-15 years.

As far as your post Bryan, their are people intros thread who gave good advice use what will work fir you in your situation. It is YOUR animal so do what you feel is right. There will always be doubters, I have a savannah that people told us would die due to his condition when we got him, he is now thriving and extremely healthy.

babyyitslove

Undoubtedly it IS the owner's choice as to what he decides to do.

I think all of this information is great.... as every individual reptile is different. So what works and aids one, may not do much for another.

I do 100% agree that almost every varanus salvator I've seen has been less than healthy. These guys should be well established in captivity before sold.... or at least sold with care sheets and FAQs about common issues.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
^ You have quite the collection, pics? This is a forum, where people will disagree or agree on things, is not about what sounds the nicest, its about which way is the best route to take in order to get this monitor back on track if even possible. If false information or information you are against for a particular reason is posted,then you tell and share others, its not like he isn't giving support to what he is saying. Notice none of the other posters took offence, this is what a forum is for.

And on to the mite thing, this animal could have mites, but at this point how are we able to tell if its mites dehydrating him or improper husbandry or simply both? This animal is clearly dehydrated, the goal is to try and re hydrate him. But truthfully at this point i don't see much hope either, because getting a decent temp gradient in a small glass tank is next to impossible, and the stress of a new move may very we'll kill the lizard.

The OP do what he feels is best, many different views and ways to go about this were shared. Just a tip to the OP, if your keeping that lizard in the room with other reptiles, i'd move his cage.

Good luck

Sendream

Im not taking offense to it im just asking what his experiance is on monitors, everyone else on the tread was putting in there input and he was telling them they are wrong, so what experience with them makes what he is saying right is all im saying. It's a forum we can give our input and shouldnt be told we are wrong by other members its a learning site. If you disagree with a poster belittling them by telling them they're wrong is a little rude. Correcting with reasons why is how it should be done. I've seen "corrections" made that were completely wrong in other threads because that's what they do with their animal which in turn made their reptile sick.
Bryan- read this article it's very long but has some good info.
http://www.proexotics.com/water_monitor_article.html

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cleaned up the thread. If you feel something relevant was deleted, repost it.

Sendream

I do understand that that article backs up what has been said, and it's for a healthy monitor. But husbandry changes wouldn't hurt the lil guy because dehydration is a symptom not a disease. Hopefully you find something that works! Wish you the best!

Bryan

Sendream said:
Not sure why people have to criticize other peoples opinions/ experiences, it's a forum we should be free to express our opinions without being criticized by other members! The person receiving the information can try whichever stategy they feel will work best in THEIR situation not the criticizers. There are people who tell others they are wrong... Hmm what makes your opinion right compared to these other people who are breeders or have personal experience for 10-15 years.

As far as your post Bryan, their are people intros thread who gave good advice use what will work fir you in your situation. It is YOUR animal so do what you feel is right. There will always be doubters, I have a savannah that people told us would die due to his condition when we got him, he is now thriving and extremely healthy.
i agree, thankyou for the advice. some people are right and some people are wrong. what did you to to your savannah to get him healthy?

Strange_Evil said:
^ You have quite the collection, pics? This is a forum, where people will disagree or agree on things, is not about what sounds the nicest, its about which way is the best route to take in order to get this monitor back on track if even possible. If false information or information you are against for a particular reason is posted,then you tell and share others, its not like he isn't giving support to what he is saying. Notice none of the other posters took offence, this is what a forum is for.

And on to the mite thing, this animal could have mites, but at this point how are we able to tell if its mites dehydrating him or improper husbandry or simply both? This animal is clearly dehydrated, the goal is to try and re hydrate him. But truthfully at this point i don't see much hope either, because getting a decent temp gradient in a small glass tank is next to impossible, and the stress of a new move may very we'll kill the lizard.

The OP do what he feels is best, many different views and ways to go about this were shared. Just a tip to the OP, if your keeping that lizard in the room with other reptiles, i'd move his cage.

Good luck

thankyou.
Sendream said:
Im not taking offense to it im just asking what his experiance is on monitors, everyone else on the tread was putting in there input and he was telling them they are wrong, so what experience with them makes what he is saying right is all im saying. It's a forum we can give our input and shouldnt be told we are wrong by other members its a learning site. If you disagree with a poster belittling them by telling them they're wrong is a little rude. Correcting with reasons why is how it should be done. I've seen "corrections" made that were completely wrong in other threads because that's what they do with their animal which in turn made their reptile sick.
Bryan- read this article it's very long but has some good info.
http://www.proexotics.com/water_monitor_article.html

ok thankyou.

babyyitslove

To the OP....

IF he doesn't make it, please do not get discouraged.

Do all the research you can, create a near perfect enclosure.... test it.... and try again.

If you feel salvators are too much, take it a step down and get an easier monitor.

We don't know everything about animals that we get from expos or stores. We don't know unless we bred them or got them from a reputable breeder. So there's always that chance that things will go south in an instant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980