• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Off the ark exotic reptiles stay away

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She more than likely has kidney or liver damage and will not survive. I would just ship her back, get a refund and purchase a healthy sav from someone reputable. I completely understand not wanting to send her back, but think of the next guy as well. You may be "helping" this one animal, but hurting hundreds in the long run.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is complete and utterly BS, I got a savy a few years ago from a petshop that was turned in by a customer, he wasnt as skinny but in bad condition none the less, it took them 4 mos. To rehab him and he was in great shape when i got him, i would demand a refund because that animal should have never been sold under any circumstances

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I would give it a try its not impossible,i wouldn't send it back that isn't going to help it:dodgy:

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
teguboy77 said:
I would give it a try its not impossible,i wouldn't send it back that isn't going to help it:dodgy:

I agree it isn't going to help the animal, but it will help the herp community. We have to show that this sort of business will not be tolerated.

To the OP:
I don't understand why you would want to spend money on trying to save an animal that should have been in good health when you received it, when the end result is 99% already known.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Its funny you seem to know everything thats you darn opinion,now if she gets it back to good health then what?Sending back to a ass$ole going to help matters really,putting threw more bs whatever.:-/

Maro1

james.w said:
I disagree with everyone that is saying keep him. I would send him back and demand a refund. If you keep him this guy gets to keep your money, stay in business and make no changes. It's the same concept as the people that buy sick animals from petco/petsmart because they feel bad. They get their money and keep their husbandry and feeding practices the same. Even if you save this one animal he will replace it with 2 and they will die unless someone who isn't informed with this place buys them. Send him back and keep spreading the bad new about this place.

Yes, This makes good sense. Unfortunately the animal pays for it. But best to not support poor dealers.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
No i totally agree,but sending it back isn't going to help.Its not the lizards fault,i think to its better to research a seller as best as you can to prevent from him selling bad animals and put his name out there as a bad seller.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
teguboy77 said:
Its funny you seem to know everything thats you darn opinion,now if she gets it back to good health then what?Sending back to a ass$ole going to help matters really,putting threw more bs whatever.:-/

I never said I know everything, and IF she gets it back to good health than that is great for her and the monitor. But it is BAD for the next monitors that the vendor continues to sell because he has people willing to take in his garbage and spend their time and money nursing them back to health. If people wouldn't support these vendors we wouldn't have animals like this in the trade.

You can get angry all you want, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and like you said in the other thread it is your opinion. Am I not allowed to have mine?? I just see this all to often, people buying animals without researching the vendor and than being upset when they get some garbage.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Not angry stating my opinion like your thx,why would you lose sleep over me being angry,i could careless your not nobody to me thx,you stated your opinion.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I must be somebody considering you are now arguing with me in two different thread, because I disagree with you.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry for taking this off topic herp girl. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with this guy.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
"She is a healthy animal internally and will start to fill out soon."

If an animal is very healthy internally then they should reflect that externally.

Good luck with her.

herpgirl2510

I completely understand the opinion of sending her back. However I would not be able to in good conscience do it it would certainly kill her and she would suffer/. I also know it is suffering now but if I can ease some of that I will. He will just throw her back in the cage and she will die. At least here I can give it awhile in a healty habitat and if things do not look goodI will humanely have a vet put her down. I had no idea that the animal was in this condition him saying I was aware of it is BS. I was told almost 6 months ago when she arrived she could not be sold and she had made a complete turn around since than. If she is upset she puffs up so she looks normal that is the pic I saw.I am putting this out as a warning to people it certainly does not reflect well on me that I purchased an animal from a place like that. I should have done better research on the place hopefully this will wan people. I have never been n a sitruation like this how long should I let this go on for her? I appreciate everyone's concern in this matter I am sure it is frustrating

I just went on kingsnake all the off the ark advertisements for monitors were gone. There were 5 of them I cannot believe they would have sold I wonder what happened?

slideaboot

5 Year Member
That entire email they sent you is a bunch of BULL. EFF that guy! You have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to take this guy's word for ANYTHING! He's trying to snow you. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in our hobby who are in it PURELY for profit. Don't get me wrong, I FULLY SUPPORT people making a living off of the hobby, but care and consideration for the animals' well being is paramount.

All he is doing is biding his time by telling you to wait it out. That way, if you do ever ask for a refund, the window of time where he'd have to give it to you will have long passed.

It's a tricky situation...James is right about how not returning the animal will only exacerbate this problem in the hobby. However, the other posters are right in that if you send the animal back, he's probably just going to be tossed in a bin with other sick lizards and die. You have a tough decision ahead of you...

That guy at Off The Ark is OBVIOUSLY a P.O.S....

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i mean he is a loser selling animals to people in that condition,like alot of other people said there's alot of sellers in the hobby that are like that,and exsposing them more and more helps let people know to stay away.Another thing you would thing the as$ off your rocker i mean off the ark selling reptiles would care about animals not just the money what a loser!!!!!!!!I think everybody on this post has good points on here.Good luck with her.

herpgirl2510

She does seem to love when I take her out for a soak so much of her old sheds soak right off. She looks like an alligator after her baths she is very active. I have given her a little pedialyte through a syringe she is finally right now under a large stone hide but on the warm side. The guy is an ass he says this is the nature of the business and the hobby sometimes bad things happen. He said he should have sent it with heat packs but he was surprised by the weather as if he can't get reports on what the temps are going to be. I think she hs been through enough and at this point just needs to be in healthy quiet enviornment which I can provide.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is your basking spot temp for her? Is she eating and pooping good?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980