• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu or FRilled dragon???

robnpg

5 Year Member
I have been looking into these 2 repties for the last few years and am ready to make my purchase. My problem is in choosing one. With both, I expect an animal with a healthy appetite and the need for a large enclosure, which I am fine with. My concerns with the frilly is finding a healthy one, yet not paying $1,000 for it. My concern for the tegu is the need for an 8x4x4 enclosure. A 7x2,4 wold be fine in my living room, but 8x4x4 would push it.... ANy advice out there?

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With a frillie, you are going to want to have a tall enclosure. With tegus, height doesn't matter as much as floor space. You might want to look into smaller tegu species, such as a blue, or even Colombian, if that is what you're looking for. Keep in mind that an 8x4x4 is recommended, although they CAN live in a 6x4x4. It would probably be better to enjoy a smaller lizard in a big cage than a big lizard in a small cage.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
We used to keep frillies, and I'm happy to share any tips, if you have any questions. They are wonderful animals, and are almost too easy to care for. Good luck! You've got a tough decision!

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
I did notice my tegus dont use the height much in their 8'x4'x4'. I did put branches and such in the cages, but they dont want to climb that often. So honestly, you could pull off something along the lines of a 7'x4'x3' (LWH).

Blue Tegus, Red Tegus, Colombians, etc. for tegus.

Sorry, I'm biased, I dont know much about frillies.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Hey...don't feel bad. I don't know much about tegus, either! :D

I do know the frillies used every bit of height in their cage, all 4' of it. They LOVE to climb. And their mating dance is actually sort of pretty...particularly when compared to beardies! :roll:

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have had both, of course tegus are my pick between the two, they also interact with thier keepers more. JMHO. :)

G

No reptile can compare with tegus. Don't get a columbian though. They're just like little mental patients in your house. One minute happy and sweet and the next minute meaner than cat sh**. 7x4x3 would work but that depth needs to be a solid 4 feet. The poor thing has to be able to turn around.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I have had both. I love the Frilles they are great and easier to care for indoors. Mine were hand tame and would eat from your hand. I would love to have another pair of them. I had to sell mine and my Tegus about 3 years ago. Just now trying to get back into a few things.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
I miss my frillies, too, but it will be another few years before we can do anything about it. Ours were also very tame, with the exception of one male that I spent over a year taming. The others, however, were as sweet as could be. Did you ever put your frillies in the bathtub? I used to love watching "frillie olympics". They are fantastic swimmers.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Mine loved a warm bath and riding on my shoulder.He was a cool dude and she was a sassy winch .LOL They are smart little lizards. I want some kind of big lizard now though. Like a Water Monitor or something like that. I've got an endless supply of feeders. I also have plenty of room for a pair or two. Just no funds. LOL

robnpg

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys! My honest pref wold be the Tegu, but talking the wife into putting a 4ft deep enclosure in the living room, wont fly ( a basement enclosure would be nice, but my handyman skillz suck!!!ANyhow, I believe I would be happy with both, but I have noticed Tegu owners and breeders have been more forthcoming with info. Legit Frilled breeders have been hard to come by!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
You made a good point on that one. Frilled breeders won't tell you anything.You've made a good choice either way you go though.

robnpg

5 Year Member
So right!!!!

Olympus, you are so right! If enclosure size was equal between the two, it would def be a Tegu. The only place I could put this bad boy in would be the basement...Our basement is kinda like a black hole, once things go down there, they tend to not be seen again :)

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Re: Thanks!

robnpg said:
Thanks for the replies guys! My honest pref wold be the Tegu, but talking the wife into putting a 4ft deep enclosure in the living room, wont fly ( a basement enclosure would be nice, but my handyman skillz suck!!!ANyhow, I believe I would be happy with both, but I have noticed Tegu owners and breeders have been more forthcoming with info. Legit Frilled breeders have been hard to come by!

That is a good point. I only know of two frillie breeders, one in New York, and I'm not sure if they even breed anymore, and Sundial Reptiles. We did get a couple of our guys from Extreme Reptiles in Florida, but I'm pretty sure they were farm imports. They were in decent shape, but...still.

There really are very few people who breed them here...and when they do, particularly if they're Australian and not New Guinea, they cost a fortune. Have you talked with Sundial yet? I've not dealt with them, but it's my understanding they're very knowledgeable about frillies, and are good to work with.

robnpg

5 Year Member
Sundial

Yes, Loren over at Sundial was great! very Knowledgable and helpful. However, do I want to spend $1000 + on a baby lizard, Um no not really. Beggars can't be choosers so it looks like LLL Reptile, here I come! --

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Re: Sundial

robnpg said:
Yes, Loren over at Sundial was great! very Knowledgable and helpful. However, do I want to spend $1000 + on a baby lizard, Um no not really. Beggars can't be choosers so it looks like LLL Reptile, here I come! --

$1000? Are you kidding me? Oh my goodness. Let me see if I can find the person in New York. We paid $150 for our guy, and he was super healthy, half Aussie and half New Guinea.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Note to self: never, ever lose the birth certificate of animals. It makes locating the breeder of said animal very difficult.

Here's the person we got our first frillie from. She is highly recommended!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amarireptiles.com">http://www.amarireptiles.com</a><!-- m -->

Her name is Cathy. If you look on the customer gallery, you can see the guy we got from her, named Osiris.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Has any one ever heard of the Sailfin Dragons. No those are bad to the bone. They are the special in the last Reptiles Magazine. I know this guy and he is a great guy. I have chatted with him through email a lot. These lizards are something I'd like to try in a way. I like carnivores more myself. He also raise Frilles and a few other really cool lizards. His site is really inforamtive also.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sailfindragon.com/home.html">http://www.sailfindragon.com/home.html</a><!-- m -->

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Has any one ever heard of the Sailfin Dragons. No those are bad to the bone. They are the special in the last Reptiles Magazine. I know this guy and he is a great guy. I have chatted with him through email a lot. These lizards are something I'd like to try in a way. I like carnivores more myself. He also raise Frilles and a few other really cool lizards. His site is really inforamtive also.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sailfindragon.com/home.html">http://www.sailfindragon.com/home.html</a><!-- m -->

I've heard of sailfins, and have seen a lot of pics of them, but have never dealt with them. They are really cool looking!

God...I forgot how darling frillies are when they're babies!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980