• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Today's rescues! - With pictures!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Today we brought our male Blue Tegu back to the vet because he still hasn't pooped in 2 weeks. It's long story. So we'll skip that one and do another. Afterward we went to a pet store a couple of blocks away. Our 10 year old son had found some robin eggs and has been holding them all day since we hadn't been home since 9am. He also found a baby robin 2 days earlier and my wife has been spoon feeding it moist dog food for 2 days. We had the baby with us and she'd feed it every hour or 2. The people in the store know a kid who does local rescue and thought he might want to try to hatch the eggs. He came, but decided against it. He told us about all of the reptiles he's rescued lately including a nasty 10 ft Burm that hates his guts; a couple of Red Eared Sliders and a nasty funny colored Gecko that's bitten him may times and barks!! I didn't know Gecko's bark!! He said he got a call about a venomous reptile in McDonalds bathroom! When he picked it up it bit him hard enough to draw blood and has bitten him many times since. We thought it might be interesting and agreed to take it. So we went next door to have pizza for dinner and he went home and got it. Since we were eating in a restaurant he left it at the pet store and we picked it up after we finished eating. They figured out it is a Tokay Gecko. This vet is an hour away so she fed the baby robin in the car before we left. So we drove home with (3) robin eggs, a baby robin, a nasty Tokay Gecko and a constipated Tegu. Can you picture this??!!

Ok. Here are the pictures.

Be prepared, this is a nasty, killer reptile.

He called it Son of Satan it's so evil!!

The squeamish might want to look away!!!

OK, you asked for it!!

IMG_0356_.jpg

I named him Stitch.

IMG_0347_.jpg

IMG_0366_.jpg

Doesn't he scare the crap out of you??!! Maybe we'll show him to the Tegu!!! :mrgreen:

He's a little thin but we'll fix him up.

chriz

5 Year Member
tokays r grate n boy call they bite lol he was scary 2 a kid but sure he is in good hands n hope your tegu is ok now

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
I been wanting some tokays myself. That one looks good. When they are hand tame they are the coolest geckos .
I only handled him to get him in the tank. The feet feel weird!!

I threw some crickets in there today. If he doesn't eat them I'll have to pull him out and feed in a separate container. Then we'll see his true nature!!

jimski427

5 Year Member
don't pull him out and feed him in a separate tank, give him about a week or 2 to settle in, tokays can be very skitish at times, despite their aggressive nature. i have two, one tame, one not. and they are awesome, took about a week for them both to settle in and start eating regularly. oh, and you can show your tokay to your tegu, i am sure the tokay will still bark and attack it ;) they have no fear...

slash1.jpg

oh... this pic was taken at about 2-3 feet away with the zoom on... and he was still opening his mouth at me and barking... lol

ZEKE

5 Year Member
wow. those are both awesome tokays!

jimski, yours looks like he has extra toes on the back right foot. does he or is it just the position he has them in?

Azaleah

5 Year Member
ZEKE said:

jimski, yours looks like he has extra toes on the back right foot. does he or is it just the position he has them in?

I think its just the position, since they have the large toe surface area they look like they are all mushed together and thus making more toes :) Count the nails, there's a normal amount.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jimski427 said:
don't pull him out and feed him in a separate tank, give him about a week or 2 to settle in, tokays can be very skitish at times, despite their aggressive nature. i have two, one tame, one not. and they are awesome, took about a week for them both to settle in and start eating regularly. oh, and you can show your tokay to your tegu, i am sure the tokay will still bark and attack it ;) they have no fear...

oh... this pic was taken at about 2-3 feet away with the zoom on... and he was still opening his mouth at me and barking... lol
Thanks. I'll leave him along for another week.

He's only barked once, when a bumped the box just before taking him out to put him in the tank. I've taken a few more pictures, some with the top open and no barking. Maybe he won't be too aggressive.

Should the tank be covered on 3 sides for privacy?? We normally do but we have a 30G hex tank we'd like to move him into that would give him lots of vertical space and is great for display.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
Azaleah said:
ZEKE said:

I think its just the position, since they have the large toe surface area they look like they are all mushed together and thus making more toes :) Count the nails, there's a normal amount.

yeah i see that now. his one back foot just looked way bigger than all the rest.

those geckos have cool coloring. what kind of care do they need?

EDIT:

yay!! 500th post!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From the care sheets I've seen they look to be very easy to care for, eat bugs, lots of humidity, don't handle (they can bite HARD and don't let go). A look don't touch pet, another challenge! How long do you think it will take before I get bit??

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Yea I've heard of Tokays lunging at people just for opening the door to the cage to feed them. Kinda scary lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe he's a mellow one, but not by his past history.

Our rescued big Red Tegu was vicious with the guy we got him from, but calmed down once we got him. I think they can sense the persons feelings and act on them.

We are going to set up a 30G hex tank for the Tokay so I'll have to take him out, probably next weekend. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980