• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Today's rescues! - With pictures!!

jimski427

5 Year Member
chances are your tokay will not calm down, i got REALLY lucky and have a tame female. my male for the first couple weeks was tame, until i covered 3 sides of his tank and put more foliage in there for him. now he runs and barks whenever i get within a foot. hmm lets see... i can't really remember what some other questions where... lol oh... i have not been bitten by either of my tokays and i have had them for over a year... tokays are not a gecko to toy with lol once they start barking, its time to leave them alone. lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jimski427 said:
chances are your tokay will not calm down, i got REALLY lucky and have a tame female. my male for the first couple weeks was tame, until i covered 3 sides of his tank and put more foliage in there for him. now he runs and barks whenever i get within a foot. hmm lets see... i can't really remember what some other questions where... lol oh... i have not been bitten by either of my tokays and i have had them for over a year... tokays are not a gecko to toy with lol once they start barking, its time to leave them alone. lol
He barked just before I took him out of the box but I'm sure I got lucky. We were going to move him from the 20G to a 29G (tall) but we have the 30G hex available and that would be a nice display tank. But the problem is I would have to reach way down there to change the water. That sounds like a problem waiting to happen. He could either bite me or run up my arm and out.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The rescue guy didn't know it was a Tokay?? It's looks to be in decent shape for having been found in a Mickey D's bathroom!! Good luck with the little beast.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
They really aren't bad until you get them in your hand. It isn't a tiger. LOL It won't go into attack mode. They are more flight than fight. Until you get your hands on them. Then that's when the action starts. I used to keep several wild caught ones. They were cool until you held them. Then the clamp would lock down. They can bite hard to be so small. Their little teeth just shred the flesh when they twist and pull. LOL It's like a catfish with a vise grip. Just imagine pinching your finger with a pair of pliers as hard as you can and twisting it loose. That's pretty close to describing it.

Nero

5 Year Member
Crap scared me to death I had to pull out my bible!!!! Beautiful Tokay. I have a leopard gecko and its still not hand tamed yet

jimski427

5 Year Member
dave, my male tokay would let me pick him up when i first got him... he still wasn't adjusted yet... once he got used to the new place he would bark, now i can't pick him up without gloves on

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
It won't go into attack mode. They are more flight than fight.

Really, that hasn't been my experience with them. I know most people tell me that they will lunge at your hand for going into their environment. Because of that, I have never tried to touch one. And I know people personally who own them and say the same thing.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I simply stated my experiences with them. You and the people you know had your own experience. Maybe I am a dominant animal that they fear and you and your references aren't. I can't explain it. I handle poisonous snakes free handled also. Only rattlesnakes, copperhead and cotton mouths. I have Kept around 50 different species of reptiles. I tend to have different experiences cause I have time to spend with them and get to a personal level with each animal. I can't explain the things I do .I just tell my experience. It's up to you to do with it what you want.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
I simply stated my experiences with them. You and the people you know had your own experience. Maybe I am a dominant animal that they fear and you and your references aren't. I can't explain it. I handle poisonous snakes free handled also. Only rattlesnakes, copperhead and cotton mouths. I have Kept around 50 different species of reptiles. I tend to have different experiences cause I have time to spend with them and get to a personal level with each animal. I can't explain the things I do .I just tell my experience. It's up to you to do with it what you want.

Hey, I wasn't trying to put down your opinion, I was just stating my own. I am sorry if I made it seem like I am trying to outsmart you.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I didn't take it that way. But you had stated your same opinion earlier. The you restated it with a quote from me like you disagree with it. I could care less if you agree or not. That is why I said what I did. Nothing personal. You have your right to your opinion. I took it as you question my experience. So I explained things. Plain and simple. I don't take offense to online stuff. I have had some where around 30 to 40 different Tokay geckos. So I made a comment on my experiences with them. As I said before . You can take the info . I give and do what you like with it.

dicy

5 Year Member
i love tokays to bad most r wc here i had 4 got 1 left after a week cus tey where to skinny not eating and dehydrated but the one io have left is a great male that barks evry nigth a few times if i can catch him on pic il post a pic of the lil nigth demon hes great

angelrose

5 Year Member
I never really gave geckos a second look until I saw this pic. I don't know anything about them.
they bark ? and what do they go for ??

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
They can go for anywhere from $10 to $25. It depends on color . Local and other things just like everything else. Leaping Lizards in Birmingham Al. has some hand tame ones they sell but they are more expensive. CB babies tend to be easy to handle and fool with. It's hard to tame one that is close to adult age. They grow fast and mature quick so. You have to get them early to really do good with them. They are one of the most amazing geckos. The males call is why they are called Tokay. He will sing his song and TOKAY and barks are how he sings it. They communicate How cool is that ?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
They are one of the most amazing geckos. The males call is why they are called Tokay. He will sing his song and TOKAY and barks are how he sings it. They communicate How cool is that ?
I can't wait to p*ss him off and get him to bark! :roll:

I've read you can sex them by checking for the rows of femoral pores. How do you pick one up and turn him over to check without getting shredded?? I guess once you get bit, that would be a good time!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
The best way I know how to pick one up is to do as follows.When you pick him up. Take your hand and Put your whole hand over his head and upper body. Kinda pin him to the cage floor. The keep you index finger on top of his head. Kind like you would a poisonous snake. That way he can spin around on you.Then just turn it over and look. It takes a little practice. But hey the little fella can't eat you. Atleast not all of you. LOL Their mating calls are what is cool to listen too. Tokays also have a sweet tooth. They love sweets. I had one that loved Lemon Ice Box pie no lie.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980