• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Today's rescues! - With pictures!!

angelrose

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
They can go for anywhere from $10 to $25. It depends on color . Local and other things just like everything else. Leaping Lizards in Birmingham Al. has some hand tame ones they sell but they are more expensive. CB babies tend to be easy to handle and fool with. It's hard to tame one that is close to adult age. They grow fast and mature quick so. You have to get them early to really do good with them. They are one of the most amazing geckos. The males call is why they are called Tokay. He will sing his song and TOKAY and barks are how he sings it. They communicate How cool is that ?

this sounds too cool ! only the males bark :?: what do they eat :?:

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
They are insectivores. But they will eat fruit also. The females bark too. But the males are more vocal. The females glue their eggs and the eggs have hard shells. I could really go on and on. LOL But I will be happy to answer any other questions. A strawberry pot makes a good hiding place and egg laying spot. I also hear cork bark is good to use for them to lay on. The eggs can be removed from it. Any other hard surface they will stick to and can't be removed. Most incubate the eggs inside the terrarrium. Mine would eat the eggs . So I never had any luck hatching them. But I have learned some tricks since then. Just haven't gotten in the mood to try them again. I will be happy to answer any more questions.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
They are insectivores. But they will eat fruit also. The females bark too. But the males are more vocal. The females glue their eggs and the eggs have hard shells. I could really go on and on. LOL But I will be happy to answer any other questions. A strawberry pot makes a good hiding place and egg laying spot. I also hear cork bark is good to use for them to lay on. The eggs can be removed from it. Any other hard surface they will stick to and can't be removed. Most incubate the eggs inside the terrarrium. Mine would eat the eggs . So I never had any luck hatching them. But I have learned some tricks since then. Just haven't gotten in the mood to try them again. I will be happy to answer any more questions.

from what I read so far it looks like they are a breeze to care for. that is one gecko I have not seen around here. I would really like one to add to my collection. that would break things up a bit and add a splash of color ...lol. how long do they live for ?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Depends on how good you are at taking care of them. LOL I think I have read that they can live 10 + years. But not real sure on that one. Too much fat causes them to die early in captivity. Some I'm sure some die from being slammed across the room when they bite. LOL So longevity would depend on several factors. LOL They will eat pinkie mice but doing so will speed up their death. They have a certain amount of food required to keep them going and healthy. They tend to be on the heavy side once used to captivity. Females can suffer calcium deficiency when laying. So they have their little quirks but most times you have a good sound pet for several years.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Some I'm sure some die from being slammed across the room when they bite. LOL

LOL. then they have sharp teeth and use them ? they are 'look' pets ? can you have two fem or two males together if you don't know their sex or would they fight ? or can you just have one ?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Males don't get along just like all geckos. But in groups. I've found that juvie males are normally left alone by the dominant male. But 2 big males will eventually fight. Males are rough on the femlaes . Sometimes to the point of making her drop her tail. But they grow back pretty quick and aren't as noticeable like Leos with a regrown tail. Females normally get along. But if your breeding them. You would be better off keeping them separated. They tend to eat each others eggs. That was my mistake.

angelrose

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I've read 2 males will kill each other. Do you really need 2 angry beasts trying to bite you?? :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: , no I don't. so the bottom line is to have just one ?

angelrose

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Males don't get along just like all geckos. But in groups. I've found that juvie males are normally left alone by the dominant male. But 2 big males will eventually fight. Males are rough on the femlaes . Sometimes to the point of making her drop her tail. But they grow back pretty quick and aren't as noticeable like Leos with a regrown tail. Females normally get along. But if your breeding them. You would be better off keeping them separated. They tend to eat each others eggs. That was my mistake.

wow, they are a piece of work. if I just get one (can't find any here tho') will he/she still 'bark' ?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I'm not really sure. I've never had just one. LOL I'm pretty sure you would here from them. Kinda like a rooster walking the yard by himself. He acts just like he has a whole harem with him. LOL Their calls are for territory and other reasons. Calling mates and etc. If you do buy one it would be best to by a LTC or CBB. They will cost you about $10 more but they will be well worth the extra money. Fresh imports are very hard to keep alive at times.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
DaveDragon said:
I've read 2 males will kill each other. Do you really need 2 angry beasts trying to bite you?? :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: , no I don't. so the bottom line is to have just one ?
This one is a rescue.

I don't think they're very common, possibly because of their attitude problem!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
wow, they are a piece of work. if I just get one (can't find any here tho') will he/she still 'bark' ?
They also bark as a warning before they rip a chunk out of your hand! :mrgreen:

dicy

5 Year Member
here is the barking sound page
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gekkota.com/html/gecko_sounds.html">http://www.gekkota.com/html/gecko_sounds.html</a><!-- m -->

angelrose

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
angelrose said:

do they attack you when your just changing their water, food or cleaning ?

maybe I should put a hold on this venture until the bites I have now heal up ...lol

angelrose

5 Year Member
dicy said:
here is the barking sound page
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gekkota.com/html/gecko_sounds.html">http://www.gekkota.com/html/gecko_sounds.html</a><!-- m -->

omg ! I do love the way they sound. thank you much dicy.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
DaveDragon said:
angelrose said:

do they attack you when your just changing their water, food or cleaning ?

maybe I should put a hold on this venture until the bites I have now heal up ...lol
I've changed the water once and dumped in some crickets twice. No sounds or charges. Maybe this weekend I'll try to pick him up (with a leather glove on)! He's always on the glass. He drinks when I spray him. The water bowl is only to drown the crickets. :mrgreen: I don't know how many he's eaten but I see 3 small BM's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980