• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

2 lizards, substrate help!?!

larissalurid

So I have my Leopard Gecko and Blue Tongue Skink each in largely sliced wood shavings at the moment. They both seem to like it just fine, the skink can very easily just go under it if he wants to burrow, especially in the little hide I have filled with shavings just for burrowing in. The leopard gecko also likes to push and move the substrate where he wants it.

I was wondering if Cypress Mulch would be better liked by them though? I'll be getting some anyway for my Tegu I reserved anyway, and I don't mind getting more if they'd like it better. I know the gecko might enjoy how it holds moisture better. I also like MUCH better how it looks natural instead of bright, random wood shavings in the tank. The only downside is they'd get dirty and my leopard gecko would rather not have a bath. Not sure if my skink would enjoy trying to burrow in that more or less either since it seems a lot messier and harder to burrow through.

Would you recommend keeping the wood shavings or switching them to cypress mulch? Which do you think they'd be happier in?

ilovelizards

Leopard geckos are nacturnal desert animals from the middle east they like it dry and around 80-90.they should always have a small bowl of water&a small shallow dish of calcium&crickets.for adult leos I've used mostly sand but they can live on everything as long as it is not wet,made of pine or ceder,and is not pointy or undigestable.I would not recomed any kind of mulch because crickets would hide in it&leos don't have protective scales like tegus or bearded dragons so they could get hurt.I've owned leos for years so if you need any more help just ask.

And a blue tounge would most likely do better on soil and sand mix because theycrickets come from thethe forseted areas of australia but I've never owned one.hopely someone else can comment on this one.

larissalurid

ilovelizards said:
Leopard geckos are nacturnal desert animals from the middle east they like it dry and around 80-90.they should always have a small bowl of water&a small shallow dish of calcium&crickets.for adult leos I've used mostly sand but they can live on everything as long as it is not wet,made of pine or ceder,and is not pointy or undigestable.I would not recomed any kind of mulch because crickets would hide in it&leos don't have protective scales like tegus or bearded dragons so they could get hurt.I've owned leos for years so if you need any more help just ask.

And a blue tounge would most likely do better on soil and sand mix because theycrickets come from thethe forseted areas of australia but I've never owned one.hopely someone else can comment on this one.

I'm not taking any of the feeding into account for which substrate to use because I make sure to feed them in a separate area, and well i do know they do like some humidity, which is why I spray the cage sometimes and have a humidity box, which mine is almost always in. I'm planning on getting some exo terra excavator clay to build in his cage so he has more to climb on and in. I was thinking of putting a little of the mulch on top so he could move it around as bedding and for his bathroom area in the corner. If you think this would be too rough on his skin I won't use it, but I don't think the big shavings would work well with the clay when I get that done.

I know that I CAN use cypress mulch or I've seen people use the coco soil stuff that I use for my scorpion, but I just want to be sure he would like the cypress mulch better for burrowing in than the wood shavings. I know you can't really hep too much more with the skink's preferences though since you haven't owned one. Hopefully someone else can give their input on that as well.

ilovelizards

larissalurid said:
ilovelizards said:

I'm not taking any of the feeding into account for which substrate to use because I make sure to feed them in a separate area, and well i do know they do like some humidity, which is why I spray the cage sometimes and have a humidity box, which mine is almost always in. I'm planning on getting some exo terra excavator clay to build in his cage so he has more to climb on and in. I was thinking of putting a little of the mulch on top so he could move it around as bedding and for his bathroom area in the corner. If you think this would be too rough on his skin I won't use it, but I don't think the big shavings would work well with the clay when I get that done.

I know that I CAN use cypress mulch or I've seen people use the coco soil stuff that I use for my scorpion, but I just want to be sure he would like the cypress mulch better for burrowing in than the wood shavings. I know you can't really hep too much more with the skink's preferences though since you haven't owned one. Hopefully someone else can give their input on that as well.

the leo setup sounds good I was replying on a cell and had forgot to add in afew things about leo care.

larissalurid

ilovelizards said:
larissalurid said:
ilovelizards said:

the leo setup sounds good I was replying on a cell and had forgot to add in afew things about leo care.

Hm I was thinking and perhaps I can just put some coco fiber around the bed and bathroom area on the clay and have an open area where the heat pad is so no heat is blocked by the clay. I think that might do well. Then I don't have to worry about any mulch poking my baby.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu