• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

20gal for 1ft

iomesz

I got my 3mo. old red a week ago and she's 11". i have a leftover 20gal from my beardie, how long will this last her? I wanted to wait at least 3 weeks for my next paycheck to upgrade to a 40wide breeder. all the temps are fine (108-112 / 75-78) and humidity is keeping in good

Steven.

20 gallons are fine to start a hatchling in. Easier to get a hold of those speedies lol. But a 40 well be needed real fast..

iomesz

cool i'll try to keep her as comfortable as I can until then. do you know the best types of plants for gu's? live ones i mean.

Steven.

Don't waste time with plants.. yes its nice, but it's worthless. Spend the money on a front opening 36"x18"x18" enclosure. A powersun and a couple of hides. Don't forget lots and lots of substrate and good quailty humidity/temp thermostats for hot and cold side of the cage. that should get you started.

Murkve

3 Months Old? 11 inches? Is this SVL or Total Length? Most hatchlings start out at about 7 inches. I can't imagine a Tegu only growing an inch and change per month, unless there were problems with the husbandry.

But I could be wrong. Could anyone chime in?

Steven.

ummm... Yes, i didnt even think of that... 3 months and less than a foot?. interesting... where did you get her?

iomesz

honestly I got her from a craigslist breeder in KY. she was the only one he was selling at the time too. do you think she's younger? she is 11" total length from snout to tail tip

Steven.

Well she could either be close to a month or 3 months and not cared for. One of the two. Do you have any pictures of her?...

Scott Hogge

11 inches total length does sound a little small for a 3mo old red. Under ideal conditions they grow an inch a week at this age. Mac just broke 14 inches and hes less than 8 weeks old.

Have you noticed any growth in the week you have had her. How has she been eating?

Getting her into an enclosure big enough that she can get some exercise can help. Bigger is always better.

larissalurid

20 gallon is much too small. My 1 month old extreme who is about a foot long I started out in a 36x27x27" I built and even that isn't a ton of room. I would start out in at least a 40 gallon wide breeder size. (if you get a tank, make sure the top isn't a screen one, they don't hold any humidity in.)

iomesz

she has been eating alot i actually should probably start feeding her more. shes been licking around each time i come near the tank like she wants to come out and is still hungry lol. she has grown a half an inch since il ast measured, the guy i got her from mightve been keeping her underfed in a smalll enclosure i dont know? i cant get her into anything bigger for at least 3 weeks to a month but i am going to be building her yearling enclosure with my cousin. do you think keeping her in the 20g is ok until then or should i get something bigger even though ill eventualy be putting her in a 6x3x3 within a month at most? i dont want to see her cramped up but i want to save the money if possible

Scott Hogge

More space is always better. If she has room to run around and climb she will. Being active is good for her metabolism and will encourage her to eat more.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you sure your temps are good? What size/type bulbs are you using for heat/uvb? Can you post some pics of the enclosure?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicole_61955