• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ackie wanted

Beasty

5 Year Member
My babies do that too. They wrestle ALL the time. What else are they supposed to do? They're so active and the cage is only so big.(no matter the size of the enclosure) Both eat fine. As long as they don't get downright violent I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it's early yet in the pairing, give em time.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've been told by Sam Day (KarmaKritters) that our Ackies are both male. :( We'll probably sell one or both and find some hatchlings, maybe from Sam.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Hmm..that's funny. Mine are from Sam too. He sold them to me as Reds and later sent me pictures of the parents. I posted on a forum where some pro monitor breeders frequent, fired up about my new acquisition. They asked me about posting pix, I did. They asked about the parents, I posted pix of them too. Then the general consensus was that my Ackies, at best, were hybrids of reds and yellows. I asked how on earth could they tell from photos alone and they posted pix of true reds and explained the differences. I'll have to find the thread.
Here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Monitors/messages/1847175.html">http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Monito ... 47175.html</a><!-- m -->

Most definitely worth a read if you want TRUE reds!
I'm LewisiOrlando on there, near the bottom of the page. I wish I had waited a month as there's a local breeder who has true reds and I could have gotten them for a little more. Oh well, research more next time, won't I?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info!! It's too bad no one posted detailed pics but the description is good. Is there another thread you know of with good pics showing the differences?? Just curious.

Beasty

5 Year Member
I'd bet you could dig around on there and find out. Did you read the whole thread? The faintly lightened skin down the back is the "stripe" they referred to. I thought it was just shedding or something. He keeps them together so I figured I'd seen stranger things than two animals kept together shedding the same. I saw other pix later of yellows with the same "stripe". I asked him several times before purchase if these were TRUE reds but I don't remember asking V.a.a. or V.a.b. (it's not about color at all) There is a marked difference as you could see by the awesome looking high contrast true red posted in the thread there. THAT is what I was after, though these are really nice and seem to have been imprinted on humans from birth as they were extremely confident right out of the box and totally un-bothered by me in the slightest. Even though, I still wanted TRUE reds, not to be rooked into some hybrids for $50 more than they're worth. :bs
Sam seems a nice enough guy but I don't know if he knows they're yellows and is mis-marketing them on purpose to make an extra buck or not but after researching it's obvious they are yellows or hybrids.

Bobby, he said he's your neighbor, what do you think?

Beasty

5 Year Member
I thought maybe you saw his ad on Kingsnake.com as he has one on there now for "red" ackies...coincidentally, you can see the "stripe" on the female in the photo listed. I mean, I'm no Ackie expert by any means but those guys made their case very convincing I thought.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
I thought maybe you saw his ad on Kingsnake.com as he has one on there now for "red" ackies...coincidentally, you can see the "stripe" on the female in the photo listed. I mean, I'm no Ackie expert by any means but those guys made their case very convincing I thought.
I did see his ad. To me it doesn't matter, but if we were to breed and sell them someone might question the blood line.

I got my name added to the ProExotics list. When hatchlings are available we'll have to decide quickly if we want to get them with the intention of breeding.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Good luck there.(PE) I was on the waiting list for months and got notice about 1-2 weeks after getting a pair. I know a breeder here in Utah that has reds available regularly.(Rare Earth bloodlines) Let me know when you're ready.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
Beasty said:
Good luck there.(PE) I was on the waiting list for months and got notice about 1-2 weeks after getting a pair. I know a breeder here in Utah that has reds available regularly.(Rare Earth bloodlines) Let me know when you're ready.

i haven't put myself on the PE waiting list but i emailed them around halloween asking some questions and i've received no response from them

who is the breeder in utah?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
Beasty said:

i haven't put myself on the PE waiting list but i emailed them around halloween asking some questions and i've received no response from them
I've emailed back and forth today a few times today with Robyn of PE. I'm on the list.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do know Sam (KarmaKritters), and I have dealt with him many times. His Ackies are nice, and I am not going to get into a debate on what type they are. IMO, most ackies are ackies, and there is not any new blood coming in. I think the ones we have are pretty well spent as far as gene pool, so what does it matter what type they are? IMO, they are what we have been calling them for years, Ridge tail monitors, and there never was the whole red yellow thing then, and I still have my doubts now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam