• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Adenovirus

jumper123

Has anyone out there heard of the adenovirus affecting tegus? Or the coronavirus? If so what have you all heard?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is a form of Adenovirus that has been plaguing beardies for years.

http://www.anapsid.org/adenoviruses.html

Coronaviruses are out there. It is a coronavirus that is responsible for SARS. But I haven't heard of either in tegus.

jumper123

I know I have seen a beardie diagnosed post mortem and I have heard or a savy getting the adeno as well. I have never heard of it in GU's buti didn't know if anyone else had.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's not really a correction. These viruses are typically species specific. The coronavirus that causes canine corona is not the same as SARS, etc. It's like the flu and there are tons of strains of influenza.

apocalypse910

According to the Merck Vetrinary Manual it can infect a fairly large range of reptiles -

Adenoviruses have been implicated in fatal hepatic or GI diseases in snakes (gaboon vipers, ball pythons, boa constrictors, rosy boas, and rat snakes), lizards (Jackson’s chameleons, savannah monitors, and bearded dragons) and crocodilians.

There is a much more complete list here-
Adenovirus Infection In Reptiles.doc.pdf

I can't find any specific instances of it affecting tegus but given the wide range of affected species I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

jumper123

It's just such a variation of symptoms, although I know they can live through it they can also die at fairly young ages and with almost no symptoms..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu