• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

After much deliberation....

Max713

Just curious, I ask many soon to be new Retic owner this...

What makes you want a snake that grows to be 25'+, that you will not be able to handle without the assistance of (several)others in just a few years, that requires a LARGE bedroom size enclosure? Unless you own a Zoo, I just can't comprehend it... Is there any good reason you are choosing a Retic over a more manageable species?

murilstone

i agree with Max. There is a retic at my local pet store that has some health problems. i had the intention of bringing him home to nurse him to health, but i realized that if i did i would probably end up keeping him. it is hard enough trying to find space for me and my family and all the pets without trying to find the space to keep this big boy happy.

on the other hand...if you got the room go for it!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I really hate to sound like a broken record... but I was thinking along the same lines as I read the original post...

Keep in mind, not only will you have the monster that Max described in just a few short years, you will have that monster with that level of needs for 20 years. What is your general 20 year plan? I would consider a snake like this a reasonable 'retirement' pet for a select few people, but is rarely a good 'early in life' pet. Life will likely bring many upredicted changes that may make such a massive, inconvenient pet impossible.

If you plan on having children, changing/entering a career, relocating, etc, etc, etc this may not be the right time to get such a pet. I am not saying buying a Retic is a bad idea, I'm just saying it's a really big deal that should be thought all the way through, several times over.

Max713

Toby_H said:
I really hate to sound like a broken record... but I was thinking along the same lines as I read the original post...

Keep in mind, not only will you have the monster that Max described in just a few short years, you will have that monster with that level of needs for 20 years. What is your general 20 year plan? I would consider a snake like this a reasonable 'retirement' pet for a select few people, but is rarely a good 'early in life' pet. Life will likely bring many upredicted changes that may make such a massive, inconvenient pet impossible.

If you plan on having children, changing/entering a career, relocating, etc, etc, etc this may not be the right time to get such a pet. I am not saying buying a Retic is a bad idea, I'm just saying it's a really big deal that should be thought all the way through, several times over.

Well said!

DiamondCreek

If you are going to get a Retic, be certain you can not only house the snake, but feed it, as well. I would suggest a male since they don't get as big as the females. Start hook training early, using a "pocket hook" for hatchlings and working your way up.

Back to the feeding thing....be prepared for the need for rabbits and larger feeders in the not too distant future. I've started raising my own rabbits since I have a large boa, a Burmese and have recently purchased a hatchling retic. Given what rabbits cost locally and what shipping from places like Rodent Pro run, it seems to make sense.

Varanus K.Face

Wow looks like i have a lot of questions to answer! Well, here goes....

For starters, I am not a new retic owner. I have been working with retics along side Tim O'Reilly for years.
How will I house such a large animal? The same way I house my varanids; in huge, custom built cages/rooms.
How will I handle a snake of that size? I won't. Retics are not snakes that are meant to be handled. Not only is it hard on us humans, but it is harder on them, as they cannot possibly feel supported properly by any person. I am not one to "play with" my animals. I care for them, interact with them, and love them, but I also just let them be animals.
How will I feed it? The same way I feed my varanids. With lots of yummy yummy fewds! :) The local feed store here has quite competitive prices.
Why a retic? They are extremely interesting, intelligent creatures, and if you have ever had the pleasure to work with them, you know why I would like one.

Although males do not reach such immense sizes as females, I will be getting a female. Not because of size, but because of safety. Male retics have much longer curved teeth, while females have smaller teeth a little more similar to a burm. When males bite, they sink those suckers into you and then rotate their head, shredding whatever is in their mouth similar to a shark bite. Females bite and let go quickly, almost like a warning. I don't know how many of you have seen the difference first hand, but its enough for me to stay away from male retics for life hahahaha.

Sorry if any of this sounded sarcastic or snotty. I understand why you guys are reacting the way you are, as a lot of people get retics just to say look at me im so baddass with my giant snake! Then they either a.-end up killing it or b.-end up getting wrecked by it and giving the rest of us a bad name. I promise I am not that person :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like you know what you are getting into, which I never had any doubt knowing what I know about you.

Btw I just picked up an ornate monitor today.

hangtown530

I say do what makes you happy and to answer your original question I don't know all that much about snakes in general but I have seen some of the ones from prehistoric pets which is out by where you are and they are beautiful :)

Post some pics after you get your retic I'd really love to see it.

Max713

Varanus K.Face said:
Wow looks like i have a lot of questions to answer! Well, here goes....

For starters, I am not a new retic owner. I have been working with retics along side Tim O'Reilly for years.
How will I house such a large animal? The same way I house my varanids; in huge, custom built cages/rooms.
How will I handle a snake of that size? I won't. Retics are not snakes that are meant to be handled. Not only is it hard on us humans, but it is harder on them, as they cannot possibly feel supported properly by any person. I am not one to "play with" my animals. I care for them, interact with them, and love them, but I also just let them be animals.
How will I feed it? The same way I feed my varanids. With lots of yummy yummy fewds! :) The local feed store here has quite competitive prices.
Why a retic? They are extremely interesting, intelligent creatures, and if you have ever had the pleasure to work with them, you know why I would like one.

Although males do not reach such immense sizes as females, I will be getting a female. Not because of size, but because of safety. Male retics have much longer curved teeth, while females have smaller teeth a little more similar to a burm. When males bite, they sink those suckers into you and then rotate their head, shredding whatever is in their mouth similar to a shark bite. Females bite and let go quickly, almost like a warning. I don't know how many of you have seen the difference first hand, but its enough for me to stay away from male retics for life hahahaha.

Sorry if any of this sounded sarcastic or snotty. I understand why you guys are reacting the way you are, as a lot of people get retics just to say look at me im so baddass with my giant snake! Then they either a.-end up killing it or b.-end up getting wrecked by it and giving the rest of us a bad name. I promise I am not that person :)
That's probably the best response I've ever got :)
Good luck with your new endeavor, make sure to post pics.

PS- Didn't know there was such a dramatic difference in male/female bite anatomy, interesting!

james.w said:
Btw I just picked up an ornate monitor today.
Pics! I know absolutely nothing about them, other than that they are gorgeous and get huge!
What are your enclosure plans, etc?
Pics pics pics! Let me know if I missed a different thread you started about him/her.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont