• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

age old question of bedding

snellos

i keep my tegus on cypress mulch, they love to burrow. since the mulch doesn't really hold a tunnel or anything. and i was wondering if there is anything better i see things on aspen but that can't keep the humidity. i was wondering if i can mix in peat moss or something like that to have a little more earthyness to it. any suggestions? or any better bedding to keep them on?
thanks everyone
-Scott

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I use all peat because I was afraid of impactions from large mulch pieces since I feed in the cage. Keep the peat damp so dust stays down.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes. Peat. Dubya advised me too :) one block was plenty to fill whole cage :) it soaks up tons of water but i had to put in a tub then add water and squeeze together w my hands like making mudpies. Then put in cage. One tub was taking 4 gals of water! I did this with 5 tubs! So my cage essentially has 20 gals of water in there! Niles LOVES it. And as dubya also advised me, get a garden "sprayer " and put just water in it to mist the peat because the heat bulbs will dry it out and you can tell because when damp it's nice and dark but dry it looks kind of reddish brown. :)

snellos

they are able to burrow well in the peat moss? also i want to find it completely organic no additives or chemicals right?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
snellos said:
they are able to burrow well in the peat moss? also i want to find it completely organic no additives or chemicals right?

Yes. No additives. They can burrow if it is kept damp.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
where are you getting your peat moss? i got a bag of it and it was barely enough to fill a 20 gallon and it was $5

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I got mine in a big block at home depot for 9.00. It was really dry. It swells up considerably once you squeeze water into it. I put it in a tote and for each tote dry it took 4 gal of water. One pkg once moist filled my whole cage. 6x3x3 :)

And it was the organic peat with nothing added

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
I wonder how peat and cypress mulch will do I have so much cypress mulch

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
chitodadon said:
I wonder how peat and cypress mulch will do I have so much cypress mulch

from Samsung Galaxy S3

You are getting more cypress mulch.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
frost said:
where are you getting your peat moss? i got a bag of it and it was barely enough to fill a 20 gallon and it was $5

[attachment=6637] Where are you getting your peat moss? A 3cuft block is $9 at Home Depot. It may be bigger. Organic and processed. No bugs in it.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 14

frost

1,000+ Post Club
Dubya said:
frost said:

Where are you getting your peat moss? A 3cuft block is $9 at Home Depot. It may be bigger. Organic and processed. No bugs in it.

i could only find it in bags, i didnt see blocks when i went there.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes. It's technically in 'bags ' but it's like a giant brick of it. In outdoor part. Organic peat. You could ask. We had to ask. It's wicked dry but awesome once you soak it. But you have to squeeze it through your fingers.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
hmm,next time i go there ill have to see if they have any in. they dont have cypress in so hopefully they have this. i have a big storage bin that i can use to soak all of it in.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I personally hated the peat moss, it was hard to keep moist because it doesnt absorb water very well while misting, the water sorta sits on top and doesnt soak through to the bottom and when its dry its very dusty. so I switched to regular top soil and have used that for the past almost 2 years for all of my tegus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont