• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

aggression

whoru

5 Year Member
ok my columbian has always been a bit crazy. usually when i open the lid on her cage she would always run. but now she is getting very aggresive.. insted of running she is puffing up hissing doing some mouth opening an she did charge my hand a couple of times. why all of the sudden instead off running is she charging an showing all this extra aggression.. heres a few pics of her behavior..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/whoru903/Tegu302?authkey=Gv1sRgCN3R-_3t9MCg-AE&feat=directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/whoru903/Te ... directlink</a><!-- m -->

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Whoru,...to tell you the truth she's a Colombian who's living up to their reputation right now. With them you never know what you're gonna get. Not to say that you can't calm them down because you can. It just takes more time than other tegus and you can't move as quickly until they are comfortable with you. You pretty much do the same things you would do with a b&w, blue or red it just takes longer. As well as placing a piece of clothing that you have worn in her enclosure (inside her hide) start over and take it slow.

Give her time to herself for a couple of days and just spend time just sitting next to the enclosure. When you have to go in and clean up or change the water, again take it slow and use a glove because she will bite you :-D. That way she also gets use to you being inside with her and not actually trying to catch and grab her. Your still a big predator as far as she's concerned. I had a glove on one day while holding my Colombian and decided to call her bluff, just to see if she would bite me and she did. Afterwards she never did it again, with the gloves on or with out.

After you see that she's not showing as much aggression start to take her out of her enclosure for short periods each day. In a designated area were its easy to catch her (same area each time). I prefer my bed,..its easy to catch her and if she feels threatened, she can run and hide in the pillows until she's comfortable enough to come out and explore. Which also has your scent on it, so she gets to spend time in a place where she feels secure outside of her enclosure. Sometimes they're much calmer once you get them out. I don't know how you pick her up but also spend time with one hand in the enclosure moving slowly towards her and around her. With a glove on (and if she lets you get close enough) slowly slide your hand under her and just hold it there for a while. Each day after wards (or take a break and come back an hour later or so) raise it a lil higher. If she runs or jumps off thats fine, don't try to grab her just let her go and start again. Try not to use pick her up with your hand open above her. From her point of view its just like a giant mouth or birds claw trying to grab her.

For now I hope this helps and if there's anything else,..just let me know. Just remember take your time, slow and steady movements (in the beginning) with Colombians.

whoru

5 Year Member
ok so i put a shirt of mine in the cage with joanna she nudge it for a while with her nose an now she is basking on it. i hope we r making progress...

Jer723

5 Year Member
that is a good first step. now just keep trying to interact with her. make sure she knows your not there to hurt her.

whoru

5 Year Member
she seems a little more relaxed when i enter her cage well at lest she not jumping all over the place an charging at me..

Jer723

5 Year Member
thats a good sign. now you can just keep trying, she will come around, its jsut gonna take a lot of work. and you cant give up. how old is joanna again? i wish you the best of luck.

Jerry

whoru

5 Year Member
yup she just nicked me once an it didnt feel to good so i am real careful dont need any stiches yet lol

whoru

5 Year Member
i think im joanna is impossiable to get through to.. i thought we were making progress its like we take one step foward an two steps back.....i dont know what to do with her..AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :bang

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu