• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Albino??

reptile-ben

5 Year Member
Ok, like most of us I've heard of albino tegu's, and as far as I know albino animals can not use uv, right? It would leave them with several health issues.

How come, I've seen video's of adult albino tegu's mating?
I do not want insult anyone, I'm just curious.

Meg90

5 Year Member
This is Bobby's view on the subject. As well as mine.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxhuuIcnTA&feature=channel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxhuuIc ... annel_page</a><!-- m -->

That is not necessarily true, several species of turtles and tortoises cannot stand bright light, they literally will not come out of hiding if under a normal basking light. But they need UV just like any other species for shell and bone health. What you want to use instead, is a much dimmer UVB tube light, and perhaps a ceramic heat emitter for the basking temps to be correct. The same I think could be used in tegus as well.

Albino animals need full spectrum lighting, just like everyone else, they just need it provided in a different way.

I agree though, to pass on the genetics is a really bad idea.

herper9

5 Year Member
In the latest yearly REPTILE magazine there is a little snippet of an article about this very subject. A breeder of albino green iguanas states that their green iguanas can and do use UVB, with no harm to the lizard. Just some food for thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu