• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Any taming tricks?

Giovanni

I've had my tegu Marty since February and he's about 1 and a half years old and going on 2.5 ft. I feed him every other day I either give him 2 medium sized mice or chicken necks. He's bitten me once and ever since I feel like he's a little more aggressive. It could be that I need to feed more often but I'll reach my hand in his cage to hang out with him but he'll lunge for my fingers. Is there anything I can do so gets used to me even more? I've tried the shirt trick and that kind of helped. I just want to be able to hang out with him like I've seen other tegus

Giovanni

That is Avery good idea! I will try this and let you know how it turns out. How has this worked for you? How long did it take for your tegu to get comfortable with you?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
How do you feed him? From tongs, fingers or put dish in with him? Just curious. Also, do you ordinarily feed him first or pick him up/interact with him then feed? I'm just wondering if he has developed a pattern or routine based on daily interactions. An example is, my ball python, who has never shown any aggression ever, a couple times i fed in tank, dangling mouse. Before that i had always done the feeding bin method. Well anyway, just from those couple tank feedings, he started waiting in strike position when i opened his tank! Just to take him out, not feed. So I'm just saying try to think if there are any relations to when he bites and the action that is happening or has previously been happening. They are soooo smart.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I always interact with mine before feeding. I handle him, spot clean, and mist first, then I feed in the cage. Never had any problems.

Giovanni

He just gets really excited when I feed him. He's always jumping up on the screen to try and get out. I'm thinking everything will get better when I get my bigger cage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu