• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Any ways to get veggies into the diet?

SierGomez

I've been trying to get more veggies into the diet of these two... but they arnt having it. I've tried offering plain veggies, various kinds, and I've tried mixing it into chicken and turkey meatballs, but they both spit it back out...
Any ideas, aside from stuffing their whole prey with it?

They eat a lot of whole prey items and organ meats... is it going to be an issue if they just don't take veggies for a long time?

Attachments

• 20161121_231609.jpg
    20161121_231609.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 55

Cody096

You can chop the veggies up into very fine pieces and mix it in, thats how I do it with my three. It's a bit tedious to get it super small but they can't help to eat it whenever they get a bite. You could also get dubias and gutload them with good fruits and veggies.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've been trying to get more veggies into the diet of these two... but they arnt having it. I've tried offering plain veggies, various kinds, and I've tried mixing it into chicken and turkey meatballs, but they both spit it back out...
Any ideas, aside from stuffing their whole prey with it?

They eat a lot of whole prey items and organ meats... is it going to be an issue if they just don't take veggies for a long time?
Don't sweat it if they refuse veggies. They'll often take blueberries and grapes but again not necessary.

dpjm

5 Year Member
You are right to include veggies, I think that is important. Fruit is ok but can be really sweet, if you can get veggies into them I think that is a better way. My tegu eats veggies no problem but it took a bit of work, actually a bit of classical conditioning.

Here's how I did it. I started feeding him with a bamboo spatula, maybe 2 inches wide and flat. I would just put the food on the end of the spatula and he would bite it, sort of like spoon feeding. At first I would use food that I knew he would be interested in, I think rats, hearts, and livers are what I used at the time, stuff that he would gladly accept on his own if it were served in a dish. What happened is that this spatula, which was previously of no value to him, became very interesting. I noticed he would grab at it even if there was no food on it. It was almost as potent a stimulus as the food itself. So I started using other foods that he was not interested in, like veggies and fruit. The result was that I can now put pretty much anything on the spatula and he will try to eat it. Another result is that he has actually developed a taste for these veggies and will eat them from a bowl as well.

Another thing I found with veggies especially is that they have to be prepared. Most of the veggies I serve him are lightly steamed, stuff like dandelion greens, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash. Bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, and any fruit are raw, but I limit fruit to a few pieces. I like to feed him grass sometimes too, that I would usually stir up into mashed fruit of some sort. Grass is really good for fibre, adding bulk to the feces.

SierGomez

You can chop the veggies up into very fine pieces and mix it in, thats how I do it with my three. It's a bit tedious to get it super small but they can't help to eat it whenever they get a bite. You could also get dubias and gutload them with good fruits and veggies.

That's basically what I've been doing, once they figure out its there they drop it and roll it around, then go back to napping lol.

They won't look sideways at dubia either, Ive been breeding the roaches, but they're a 5lb female and 10lb male, I figured they might be too small for them to care much about now

SierGomez

Don't sweat it if they refuse veggies. They'll often take blueberries and grapes but again not necessary.

I keep offering lol. they're really picky. Won't take new foods at all right now. female tends to skip every other meal but they're gaining weight great overall

SierGomez

You are right to include veggies, I think that is important. Fruit is ok but can be really sweet, if you can get veggies into them I think that is a better way. My tegu eats veggies no problem but it took a bit of work, actually a bit of classical conditioning.

Here's how I did it. I started feeding him with a bamboo spatula, maybe 2 inches wide and flat. I would just put the food on the end of the spatula and he would bite it, sort of like spoon feeding. At first I would use food that I knew he would be interested in, I think rats, hearts, and livers are what I used at the time, stuff that he would gladly accept on his own if it were served in a dish. What happened is that this spatula, which was previously of no value to him, became very interesting. I noticed he would grab at it even if there was no food on it. It was almost as potent a stimulus as the food itself. So I started using other foods that he was not interested in, like veggies and fruit. The result was that I can now put pretty much anything on the spatula and he will try to eat it. Another result is that he has actually developed a taste for these veggies and will eat them from a bowl as well.

Another thing I found with veggies especially is that they have to be prepared. Most of the veggies I serve him are lightly steamed, stuff like dandelion greens, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash. Bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, and any fruit are raw, but I limit fruit to a few pieces. I like to feed him grass sometimes too, that I would usually stir up into mashed fruit of some sort. Grass is really good for fibre, adding bulk to the feces.

I'll try with a spoon, my male knows the food bowl very well now, he will run me over to get to it. I'm sure he can be trained pretty easily. my female hasn't recognized food time yet though, she is an extremely cautious eater.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll try with a spoon, my male knows the food bowl very well now, he will run me over to get to it. I'm sure he can be trained pretty easily. my female hasn't recognized food time yet though, she is an extremely cautious eater.
SierGomez- you're well on your way. Correct. The male can treat the bowl as if it were the spatula. Female still figuring it out. They prefer meat BUT will take other thingsthat are also good for them in lessper amounts.

dpjm

5 Year Member
I'll try with a spoon

It would work, but the spoon's raised edges could cause a jaw injury. Go to any store that has kitchen supplies and get something flat. I use something like this:
YBM-Home-Kitchen-Bamboo-Turner-Spatula-Utensil.jpg

dpjm

5 Year Member
The male can treat the bowl as if it were the spatula

Maybe, but I think the spatula is a better conditioned stimulus than the bowl, at least in my case it was. Before this training with Ripper, he would respond well to the food bowl but would not necessarily accept anything that was in the bowl, he was just excited to see it. If there was anything in there was he liked he'd eat it and leave the rest.

If the bowl works so well that your tegu will eat anything that is in it, then it would be equivalent to the spatula. But if he's still picky about the food in the bowl then it is not working as well, at least not in terms of getting him to eat different foods that he doesn't already like.

thatoneguy

I used to blend up greens and veggies and mix them with meat or scrambled eggs, to get some into my tegus diet.

Now I mix in the Mazuri tortise diet with his meat which has a good amount of nutrients that he wasn't getting when he would only eat meat. Some people don't like the idea of feeding kibble type food though.

SierGomez

Maybe, but I think the spatula is a better conditioned stimulus than the bowl, at least in my case it was. Before this training with Ripper, he would respond well to the food bowl but would not necessarily accept anything that was in the bowl, he was just excited to see it. If there was anything in there was he liked he'd eat it and leave the rest.

If the bowl works so well that your tegu will eat anything that is in it, then it would be equivalent to the spatula. But if he's still picky about the food in the bowl then it is not working as well, at least not in terms of getting him to eat different foods that he doesn't already like.

He definitely picks and chooses what he wants out of his bowl. I've tried cutting back on the foods he likes and adding more new foods, he might pick up a piece but always drops it, takes what he wants and leaves the rest. His weight gain is great though and his old injuries have healed pretty nicely so I'm not overly concerned, yet.
the female runs off with one or two pieces, but she doesnt trust me at all yet. she has maybe 3 food items she will actually eat and a tendancy to over drink.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont