• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

anyone ever wonder?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What a giantXblue cross would look like? I hope to one day find a nice blue girl to pair with storm, I think those babies would be awesome, I wonder how they would compare/differ from the AA tegus, since they wouldn't have any red traits, its a dream project for me

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm trying but finding a female blue is hard, all I keep finding are males or small juvis

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looks wise it wouldn't be much different,.. it's already hard to tell some Blues from B&W. There was a thread a while back of a pair that we weren't sure if they were just B&W or Blue hybrids and they had traits of both.

But I would like to see how the Blue and Cream color plays together. If the cream color of Extremes would make the blue a little deeper or what. Since Blues get brighter as they age and Extremes kind of fade.

Either way it'll be a couple more tegu generations before we Really start to see some color changes. We need a REALLY nice Red Blue hybrid paired with an AA. Maybe even a sprinkle of Golden in there,.. :rolleyes: I know it's been said it can't be done,.. but that's what most people say until,.. it's Done.

kellen.watkins

I gotta nice blue/red hybrid :) find me an AA female in a couple in a half years lol I think the blue/ extreme cross would be wicked, if it came out looking like a high white extreme with the teardrop and burnt nose that would be more than satisfying, just an opinion though :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found it,.. it was Kingwolf but they haven't logged on in a while. This is the only thread that still has pics.

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7929#axzz1YJu6Qz62

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I remember those! They sure were neat looking, too bad that was the only thread that still had pictures.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I remember those also, I'm looking for more of a high white or platinum blue, I too wonder how the bluish white and the cream would work together, I don't think storm will be ready to breed til 2013, soon in no rush, that gives me plenty of time to get the right girl,although blizard and sugar had their first clutch before they were 2 y/o so I'm sure storm could have the same potential but like I sad I don't want to rush it, I want to get the best female I can find to produce a high quality clutch

Johnnydr

If I'm not mistaken, aren't blues and B+W's considered the same species. I suppose if you get a blue that has a a ton a white and breed it with a high white extreme you'd get something neat.

Would be neat to see if taking out the red will take any red/muddy color out of the whites. you could even introduce an albino gene and start a larger albino tegu project.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Right now they are the same species, tupinambis merianae. The giants are also considered to be tupinambis merianae. With the blues there isn't enough evidence to really say it is its own species.

According to this thread:
http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?336-argentine-and-columbian
"Ron St. Pierres states that the blue tegu is T.teguixin (Colombian) based on the origin of his original shipment, but admits that he doesn't actually have the knowledge of credentials be sure of this.

We can tell by the scientific criteria as well as skin patterns that it's not a T.teguixin. There are no sub-species of T.teguixin listed in any scientific documentation, and since we know it's not a T.teguixin.. the blue tegu needs to be one of the other 6 tegu species. Out of those other 6 tegu species only two others may be legally sold into the pet trade. So, the blue better be either a T.merianea & T.rufescens or it's illegal for the pet trade.

Note: The problem is that people who import and sell blue tegus can't claim the blue tegu is anything except T.teguixin, because the only tegu legally exportable from Colombia is the T.teguixin. So if the blue tegu isn't a T.teguixin, then it's being illegally exported. For legal reasons those people who sell 'blue tegus' MUST claim it is a T.teguixin or admit involvement in illegal activities. For more info on blue tegus see these links...
"

It goes into more detail and more of a debate. There are all kinds of theories and debates when it comes to blue tegus. It seems to be a heated topic.

Varnyard also has a smaller thread on tegu species
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7401#axzz1YX5FuMn8

The albinos are another hugely debated issue, there are tons of people who are super for and super against it. If you do a little bit of digging you will see lots and lots and lots of arguments.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The blue was originaly classified as T. Teguixin because a few made it to the us in a shipment of columbians, as the above post mentioned, color patterns, scale shapes ect seperated them frok the columbians, like the giants, its posible the blues may not even be T.merianea but a seperate specie all together, but the proper test have yet to be done to make that claim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus