• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone using commercially built caging?

m3s4

I had the day off and was thinking of ordering the condo, then I figured if I can piece everything together for roughly the same price...I'll just build a cage.

Went down to Home Depot, grabbed (2) 97x48 sheets of melomime and had them cut to specs which are:

6x2x2. $60 for both sheets, cut and ready to assemble.
Grabbed some screws, plexiglass sheet, hinges for the plexi-glass door(s)
some white caulking, some rubber grommets to fill the holes I drill
for my light(s) and humidifier cords, a few vents and a NOS energy drink :p

Total is just over $150.

The cage is already screwed together. I'm about to fill the gaps with caulk and start working on the door(s). I also have a nice 36"x24" piece of glass I'm trying to incorporate into the build, just don't know how to do it yet.

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
So what do you figure it weighs, all told? I'm not Mr Handy, but I could do that. I'm worried a bit about my construction skills, but also about what things will weigh once completed.
I hope you'll take a couple shots once you're done and let us see...

BTW - I just got a quote from another one of the guys I queried about doing this. He stated he would reinforce the heck out of it, then went on to mention how it will be tough using it for a tegu. He's had a couple from what he said. $1200 including shipping (8x3x3 with 12" litter dam).

m3s4

Ok so I just got done with the build. It took around 5 hours to complete.

The thing that made it very nice, and made things go much quicker, was the fact Home Depot cut the (2) sheets of wood to specs. Having all the tools necessary helps too.

I don't have a substrate dam installed because this just a large sleeper/feeding/basking cage. My tegus free roam, and although the two juvies can't, it won't be long before they'll be able to with my 5 year old B&W.

If one, two or all three are determined to hibernate, I'll do something different when the time comes. Other then that, I haven't had issues with hibernation.

The set-up isn't 100% and I will undoubtedly tweak things here and there - like more vents/UVB light height/furnishings etc...95% done as is. Went with sliding glass as opposed to plexi-glass as well.

basking spot 108
cool area 82
humidity is 64% with the humidifier on low.

20120402_190318.jpg

20120402_190356.jpg

m3s4

If you are somewhat savvy with tools and putting things together, this is a pretty simple build.

I can't say my enclosure is anywhere near what a professionally built enclosure is, but for the price and the guide I used as a reference, I'm very happy with the end result. Unfortunately, shipping is just too expensive imo for a complete enclosure. Their big, bulky and heavy. I bet mine is 100lbs or very close to it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You might find this guide helpful should you opt to build your own enclosure:

How to build a melamine enclosure for $100

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu