• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are Caiman lizards legal?

jpanish7

do you have the legal forum from the fish and game website? I would just like to make sure caimans are legal before I consider getting one

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you want affirmation try giving your fish and game department a phone call. Have the common and scientific names handy and I'm sure they can help figure things out to put your mind at ease.

northern caiman lizard
Dracaena guianensis

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Caiman Lizards are, Caimans are not. Cal Fish and Game list animals that are not legal to own, the only legally owned animals that are listed are those from families that are banded. An example would the canis family, all canis family are illegal to own in California with the exception of Canis Familiaris (the dog). If they did it the other way it would be a long list to include ever single animal.

I have seen them in stores here and I own one in California. The only limitation would be county to county and city to city if there is a size limit on reptiles. I think San Francisco is the only city really but its on constrictors.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
The only reptiles that are illegal in California are venomous snakes, crocodilians, snapping turtles, and Gila monsters. The city of Los Angeles requires a Wild Animal Permit to own any of the greater constrictors, monitors, tegus, or iguanas, but that only applies if you live within the city limits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu