• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

are cypres shavings chemically treated??

cabral

5 Year Member
hi everyone, in uruguay there is no cypress mulch or bedding abailable cause reptiles are not comon pets :rant ! yet.... :chin

but the cypress trees are common, do any one knows if the wood needs any treatment?.. because i can go and ask in a carpentry and ask for cypres shavings..... but it wont have any chemical treatments unleast i ask for....
so anyone can tell me what should i do?....can i use shavings straight from the tre with no chemical treatment?

THANKS EVERYONE!

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
I think it depends on the brand. I buy from ace hardware thats marketed as "natral" no chemicals ect. (so they say) if you live where cypress is common you should get natural wood chips and not add anything. i would not use shavings cause it would be to messy wash the small sand-like particles out and use just the chips and you should be fine. Theres members here that sometimes have a hard time getting cypress. Mabee you should buy a wood chipper ,bag it and make some money.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The best thing to do is read the bag, it should say on the bag if it was treated with something.

cabral

5 Year Member
lol
there are no bags
i would go to the carpentry and ask for cypress chips or sheddings, thas why i am asking

maybe it had those toxic vapours that common pines have, and those were neutralized with chemicals

thats mi doubt.

thanks everyone, ill go there and ask for some chips or shavings of cypress with any type of chemical treatment

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have stores that sell things for your yards? They should have mulch for flower beds.

cabral

5 Year Member
as stupid as i may sound i really dont know the word for mulch in spanish .... so its difficult to express myself, but its a good idea
im acually using potting soil for my snakes, it might work fine for the tegu i think,
and for the tegu im using non fertilized soil.

tomorrow ill change the tegu to potting soil(that with ashes and organic stuff) while il get the cypres shaving/chips. do you think that might work??

cabral

5 Year Member
oh another question.... any type of euchalyptus is ok? cause there are many types.... i just remembered...
and what about potting soil, what do u think?

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
eucalyptus is ok, in fact I think members here use it. I dont think soil will hurt the tegus. I used a fertilizer/chemical free topsoil mixed with cypress mulch (to give more consistancy for digging.) and topped it with fallen leaves from the yard.My tegu seemed to love it.although it was harder to clean out the cage due to the soil particles.It made the a heavy cage even heavier so all substrate had to be removed with a dust pan or by hand.

AWD247

5 Year Member
cabral said:
as stupid as i may sound i really dont know the word for mulch in spanish .... so its difficult to express myself, but its a good idea
im acually using potting soil for my snakes, it might work fine for the tegu i think,
and for the tegu im using non fertilized soil.

tomorrow ill change the tegu to potting soil(that with ashes and organic stuff) while il get the cypres shaving/chips. do you think that might work??

Hey when asking around, ask for " mantillo de ciprÃ?Æ?Ã?©s " thats Cypress mulch, maybe that will help you out.

cabral

5 Year Member
thanks alot
that might work
ill try, if not ill start taking printed pictures to show what im asking for ! LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu