• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are red tegus more shy than black and whites?

rps

Hey, all,

I'm going to be purchasing a tegu at the upcoming NARBC expo, but I'm torn between getting a red and an Argentine black and white.

I've heard that reds tend to be more shy or skittish than black and whites. Is this really the case or is it just a misconception?

If you have experience with both reds and Argentine black and whites, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on differences between the two species.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and :) welcome to the site, take this time to research and learn as much as you can to prepare for your new tegu. We have a lot great and need to know info in the tegu article section as well as stickies / important threads that are at the top of some forum sections

Each tegu is different and have their own personalities, some are more skittish and shy than others. Black and white, Red, Golden,.. doesn't matter. With time, patience and handling they calm down.

got10

I own three red , six b/w and one blue . I have a red that wants to kill anything near its cage and a b/w that does the same . All the others seem fine and free roam most of the time in the house

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ivr read the same. My hybrid is more blue than red but he seems to be the most shy of the three. Im not sure how much he was handled before i got him but ive also had him for just under a month so its possible hes still learning to trust me. I think there are a lot of things that factor into tameness. Genetics are a big one but so is the amount of time you spend with it. Dont let possible shyness be a deal breaker for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tegutula