• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

argus monitor care sheet wanted?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
As a long term monitor keeper and am very involved in the varanid community, I disagree -- that enclosure is NOT big enough.

Argus's can tame down more than other species but should in no way be compared to the tameness of a tegu. and "tame" is not a word that is used in the varanid community, monitors do not "tame" they tolerate or they are too cold or weak from improper husbandry - which is more likely the case than not. An argus that is properly heated will not sit still enough for it to be "cuddled" or even held for more than a few seconds. Make a monitor cold then you got something you can handle, but why do that?

Im not saying they arent workable, but definitely do not judge off of a youtube video when you dont know if that monitor is kept right or not.

mike97

like i say i'm not looking for a tame lizard, im looking for a active and interesting lizard :)
a tame one would just be a huge bonus :)

mike97

look after speaking to people like philipniceguy i am fairly confident that this size enclosure should be fine :)

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Im personal friends with philip and Im really surprised he would say that, as he keeps his massive argus in a huge enclosure. I will have to ask him what his thoughts were. I just dont get how anyone can justify putting a 5-6ft monitor in something that is as long as their body, especially THIS species.

mike97

3-4ft is average for female?
all in all i completely agree with you, i should provide a larger enclosure. i will try my best to. the only way to do so is out of osb outdoors? fully insulated

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
It depends on what subspecies you get, horni which is the smallest of the 3, a female can reach 5-6ft too but average is 4ft. But you have to understand, the size of the animal is really not even the issue here, its their activity level. OSB will not hold up with monitors, you will be building a new enclosure every few years. Even when its fitted with fiber reinforced plastic, the water will seap through and destroy the osb in a few years and their claws will go through an polyurathan. Any water on osb will cause it to fall apart because of the partical pieces. A thick marine plywood is best for constructing monitor enclosures, lined with FRP for humidity and soil stability. Not to mention outdoor enclosures are really hard to maintain temperatures and it would require a great deal of work to get everything fitted with ambient and basking temps. I really feel that if you cant offer 100% of what is needed for an animal, long term then its best not to get that animal. Perhaps a tegu would be a better choice for you.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I just talked with Philip, he did say he said it would be okay but only for a small female. Please be aware that buying a young one will not be able to tell you male or female, they are difficult to sex because both male and female have sex organs that evert, so people often think male when they think they see "hemipenes" but they could be seeing hemiclitoris. The only way to tell if you have a female is to buy a proven female, but again, without knowing the subspecies you cant say that wont get 6ft, and what happens when you get a 6ft monitor in a 6ft enclosure? rehome them? Argus grow incredibly fast, they can reach 6ft within 2 years or less.

mike97

osb3 is very good for building monitor vivs. i did say female btw not male. i know a male couldnt be housed in one that size. a tegu will not be a better choice as i dont find them as interesting

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
i dont have much else to say since your convinced on sizes but yet you dont even have experience with them or other large lizards.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I recommend not getting an animal unless you can provide exactly what it needs long term. and not getting one anyways when youve admitted to it being a bad idea because you cant house it right. your talking about a HUGE, active, in your face monitor, spend some time with one for awhile before considering getting one. I have raised monitors and tegus for over 10 years, but an argus still keeps me on my toes and makes me nervous. no offense but its not a good species for a young kid who has no large lizard experience at all. just because you "fell in love with them" if you fell in love with them then you should do right by them and not get one unless you can provide exactly what they need. Again, i mean no disrespect by all this but being that my field of work is in rescue with large lizards, I see this ALL the time and I am trying to save an animal and yourself from a bad situation.

Carnicero

My "tame" tegu which im bringing up great is a handfull and always trying to break out of its 8x4 i couldnt imagine owning a larger way more active then a tegu, monitor. Unless I have a basement or similar sized room to dedicate to it.

mike97

the other problem is with tegus is that they hibernate half the year :L
im gunna think about what im gunna do. then update you.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Not all tegus hibernate, I have had one of my tegus for 9 years and he has never hibernated. and then I have some that do.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
blues and colombians are less likely to hibernate but there is no rule by that. Each tegu decides what they want to do.

Deac77

5 Year Member
my tegu has never hibernated. honestly ive never seen a argus sit that still for more than 5 min's. ive worked with most species of monitor available in the U.S. and am active in the zoo close to my town's educational program on them. a properly fed/heated argus is insane, ive had komodos (from the san antonio zoo and by far the happiest 3 days of my LIFE) come running up to me and been less afraid then with a unpredictable argus. thats not saying i havent seen them workable,some have been very workable and very calm, then a switch flips and they go haywire lol. I truly love the species it is easily one of my favorites but not for most people.

as for the cage size take note in what Kayla says, these are probably the most active monitors in captivity (in the U.S.) that you can keep and need A LOT more room than most species. once again not being rude but i do hope you'll consider what we have said ive had to help place to many because keepers were unprepared for them and its quite taxing on me.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I'll be honest, you seem very uneducated about large lizard husbandry. I don't really care what the UK keepers have told you but a 6 foot cage won't work for a 4 foot lizard. PERIOD. There's no ifs, ands or buts. Even with levels, it's still a 6 foot cage. You need something larger.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam