• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Awake?....or lying to me???

Varanus K.Face

SO....my tegu has been in full brumation since thanksgiving. The past couple weeks the weather here in southern california has been real unpredictable...hot one day, raining and cold the next...so he comes out of his den...looks around, and falls back to sleep for a few hours, then wakes up again, looks around, crawls back into his den, abd is down a few more days.

How long should he do this before I just say screw it and turn the lights on and start feeding him? He doesnt look for food or anything....just moves and goes bacj to sleep like hes checking if its still winter or something hahahaha

Advice?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My theory on hibernation/brumation/whateveration is very simple... watch the Tegu and assist him to do whatever he wants...

If he is sleeping all the time, give him the conditions that support him sleepign all the time...

If he is becoming active, give him the conditions that support him being active...

If he is transitioning between the two, give him the conditions to transition between the two...

It sounds to me like yours is still in the mood to sleep most of the time yet is also ready to stretch his legs a bit and get a change of scenery. So I would give him a warm basking spot to lay in if/when he chooses.

I'd also consider putting him in a warm bath once and see if he likes the idea. If he just sits there, let him just sit there. If he tries to climb out, take him out.

Reptile minds are not like a mammals mind, do not worry about spoiling your Tegu. He is simply wired to either be content, or seek content'ness...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine came out the other day for a few hours, then my red came out yesterday for about the same. The all american did not come back out and neither have been out today. I set the timer on my lights to come on for a few hours a day, so if they want to bask it is available.

Varanus K.Face

Hmm...ok. I have considered the bath idea when I have seen him out, I just didn't want to pull him out too early by accident, as hes only been down 3 months. I will give it a try though! thanks!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just move slow and don't force anything. When first waking up from a 3 month nap even little things can get a bit overwhelming :p

Just a tip... my Tegu HATES running water... but LOVES to soak in the bath... The sound of the faucet is enough to make him start squirming, but the sight of the tub without running water lures him in......

Varanus K.Face

Really? Mine loves running water! His favorite thing ever is when I put him in the bath and scoop up water in my hand and pour it over his face. Thats kinda how we first bonded when I got him, since he was 5 years old already. Hes a sucker for jowl rubs and running water on his face heh. Still though, might be overwhelming on the first time haha

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I should clarify... He is fine with "moving water"... it's the sound of the faucet running that 'spooks' him...

He has a large water tub in his enclosure which has a powerhead on a timer. He commonly lays right on top of the pump so it blows water into his chest. I do not advise doing this to others as he also sometimes pushes it so it shoots all fo the water out of the tub into the enclosure. But I deal with it.....

When he is soaking in the tub I often get warm water from the sink and pour it over him to warm up the bathwater, which he really likes....

again, it's the sound of the faucet, not the moving water......

Thanks Mr Face for pointing out my miswording!

Varanus K.Face

aahh I see. I have yet to have mine near a faucet, so thanks for the tip! I will update you with how it goes the next time I catch him awake!

Thanks for all your advice,
<3 MISS Face :-* hahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu