• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

baby tegu eating a little bit of cypress mulch

goonzo420

5 Year Member
ohkay so my baby tegu wont eat outside of his cage at all i tried everything. he only eats in his cage but when i feed him he makes a mess and sometimes ingest a little bit of cypress mulch is this bad for him? thanks oh and i use a little feeding dish... i now have to chop the crickets up so they die and wont run around the cage HAHAHA thanks :rant

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ummh,...yeah...its bad.

Have you tried not feeding your tegu for a couple of days and then offering food outside of the enclosure? Don't worry,..not feeding him for a few days won't hurt him. When feeding inside the enclosure (especially w/ mulch as substrate) there is a much higher risk of your tegu getting impacted. How long have you had your tegu, has he had time to settle in and get use to you being around? Which may be another reason why he only eats inside his enclosure where he feels secure.

When you have tried everything else (not just during one feeding, give it time)with no luck then I would feed inside the enclosure. To do whats best for the Gu, just make sure you use something to cover the substrate. Be it a towel, newspaper, paper towels what ever. As long as its thick enough that they can't rip through it when they pick up food they dropped or when they have been thrashing food around. Even then there is still a risk of your tegu eating the substrate because the smell of the food (residue, juices or pieces of food still inside) lingers . Especially if he's a messy eater, shakes his head (for what ever reason) while eating and when he goes to wipe his mouth afterwards.

After you have bonded more and he's use to having you around go back to feeding outside the enclosure. The last thing you want is a surgical Vet bill for something that could have easily been prevented or something worse happening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu