• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

baby Zeus my first tegu and he is a wild one

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Baby Zeus is a very active Tegu but he is also nervous he bit me once and I get tailed whipped onece in a while but h still is nervous I been using gloves with handling him and moving him around he is adjusting little by little he hates the water so how can I get him used to it he is 8 weeks old
[/php]

Attachments

• IMG_20120810_210519.jpg
    IMG_20120810_210519.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20120811_160801.jpg
    IMG_20120811_160801.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20120811_213814.jpg
    IMG_20120811_213814.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

LizardzRock

chitodadon said:
Baby Zeus is a very active Tegu but he is also nervous he bit me once and I get tailed whipped onece in a while but h still is nervous I been using gloves with handling him and moving him around he is adjusting little by little he hates the water so how can I get him used to it he is 8 weeks old
[/php]

just going to take time. patience is key sometimes. some days you will take a step forward, the next maybe 3 steps back. just be consistent, and practice good husbandry skills. they will begin to love you for it. food and treats also. good luck.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
LizardzRock said:
chitodadon said:
[/php]

just going to take time. patience is key sometimes. some days you will take a step forward, the next maybe 3 steps back. just be consistent, and practice good husbandry skills. they will begin to love you for it. food and treats also. good luck.

I'm working in it thank.u I was giving him.talapia from.the tongs as a treat he did well when I get home tonight I'm.gonna take him out he is scared of my cat but.not.of my bearded dragon I wish I could get him.to.free roam soon I never sat in the tub wit Jim.I.just sat on.the side and he hates the water

striggs

5 Year Member
Wassup Chitodadon? Lil Zeus giving you a hard time hunh lol. With handling and him becoming less afraid and more trusting of you he should tame down.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: baby Zeus my first tegu and he is a wild one

striggs said:
Wassup Chitodadon? Lil Zeus giving you a hard time hunh lol. With handling and him becoming less afraid and more trusting of you he should tame down.

Thanks a lot man I appreciate it we got to.link.up one day take them to.the park

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

My correction he is 6 1/2 weeks

Neeko

Some are wild at heart others tame as a dog. I could carry one of my guys on my shoulder all day long with out worry, others I can only let roam in a high wall tub. It's nice though, beautiful creatures to just watch all day long. Adventuring on their cage, even If they flip their water dish over 100 times Lol. Maybe there's something under there I haven't noticed. I'll start looking under my plate too.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Lol yea its funny I still wear gloves because Zeus whips alot

Murkve

I wouldn't think you'd need gloves for a Tegu that size. Mine is about the same size, and I honestly don't know if I've been tail whipped. When he runs, sometimes his tail will "whip" around, and sometimes it hits me, but it doesn't hurt.

It's like being hit with a piece of twine.

Murkve

You said he bit you once. It seems that the biting is hardly a habit, and again, at that size it won't do much damage.

I would ditch the gloves as they're probably hindering more than helping, and let him get used to your smell. This is the easiest way to get the Tegu to recognize your smell as non-harmful, and eventually even safe. If he bites, grit and bear it, but do not go away. The message to the animal needs to be: "If I am calm, good things will happen" rather than "If I am mean, good things will happen".

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
He is growing slowly I wish he would get bigger already he is 10 inches and 7 weeks old

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345306761864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345306761864.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345306784441.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345306784441.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 18

larissalurid

When I got my extreme hatchling he would BOLT into hides as soon as someone walked in the room. After a week the first time I tried to pet him he would tail whip and run away and was FREAKED out. So after that I just put my hand in the cage for long periods of time to see I'm not a threat and such. After a while he recently let me start petting him a week ago. (hes now 8 weeks old) I tong feed him in the cage since I can't yet hold him and take him out to put in a feeding bin. My method is going to be taking it slow and let him come to me and do what he's comfortable with. I'm not going to try to grab him or force him and scare him more.

He went from freaking out to where I can now pet him. :] Just takes lots of time spent with them and patience. Here's a recent video of me petting him. If you look at my early vids of him, you can see how scared he was and how he'd bolt if I even moved slightly while near the cage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbZZ3AuDunk&feature=plcp

Also be patient! He's a few weeks old lol, they aren't going to be an adult THAT fast. He will be huge someday.

Here's how much mine has grown, I haven't measured him but I saved some shed skins. There's one from like 3 weeks ago and one from just the other day.
[attachment=5152]

Murkve said:
You said he bit you once. It seems that the biting is hardly a habit, and again, at that size it won't do much damage.

I would ditch the gloves as they're probably hindering more than helping, and let him get used to your smell. This is the easiest way to get the Tegu to recognize your smell as non-harmful, and eventually even safe. If he bites, grit and bear it, but do not go away. The message to the animal needs to be: "If I am calm, good things will happen" rather than "If I am mean, good things will happen".

I agree. The gloves are going to freak him out a lot more than a regular hand and won't let him learn your smell.

I wouldn't be scared of a bite from a hatchling, and you are going to need to gain each others trust before he's an adult and can do some real damage.

Attachments

• 262992_10151085878726843_648880030_n.jpg
    262992_10151085878726843_648880030_n.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu