• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ball Python Lighting Help?

Hippo

Hello i got a baby ball python and i have a heating pad and a daytime light. I was wondering if i can put him a night light to keep the temps up? Basically is it alright to have a day light on during the day and a night light during the night or will the night light mess up his sleeping schedule?

i would love a reply thank you :)

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
You can do that, they make night lights specifically for nocturnal reptiles. But if you ask me i think you should just lose the lights and get a better under tank heater and thermostat. A heat mat is preferred with ball pythons, lights heat up air temps and dry out the enclosure making maintaining humidity even harder. And you can't just completely soak the substrate like with a tegu, other wise you will end up with scale rot on your hands in time. Just get your self a higher wattage heating pad, if you have a hatchling a ten gallon would be good with a 8wat zoo med heating pad, connected to a thermostat. Its the ground temps that matter (specifically within the hides where they spend about 90% of there day)...

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd vote for a non-light source type of heating for night such as an under tank heater tied into a thermostat. What are your current temperature ranges for night and day?

turtlepunk

Yeah Im with Strange-Evil. I have tried the light thing before and it just doesnt work. My ball python was too dried out, even to a point where he stopped eating (because before I switched to lights, I had him in a tub with a heat mat). I still think rack systems suit ball pythons perfectly.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you want a heat source other than UTH, you could get a ceramic heat emitter. Although I do agree anything other than heat pads or a RHP will dry out your cage.

herpgirl2510

Problem is any light is going to dry your tank out. Also I have heard that those red/black lights can be bothersome to their eyes. I just use a UTH with a thermostat with a hide over the warm side. Make sure you aretaking surface temp with a temp gun also a thermostat is very necessary. I have recorded surface temp way over 120 degrees without one not all snakes will move away from it and can be badly burned.

l also never thought I would do sweaterboxes boxes mine is 18" high but I did since them I have no problem with perfect sheds because the humidity stays in the box.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I agree with everyone here, a night light is not warranted. Have a constant under tank heat source, some light during the day is apparently not even required as well depending on who you talk to.

I happen to give mine light during the day, BTW.

...Jefroka

jumper123

I have personally never had a light on any of my snakes. they stay around 80 degrees with just a heat pad and i use the window to differentiate night and day. they only have a heating pad and i have never had an issue with them shedding or anything.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's already been said but I just want to stress since it happens too often with out it;....UTH or Heating pad WITH a Thermostat. Substrate over the heat source doesn't work because they can and will move the substrate to get closer to the heat. Especially if the surface temps are not warm enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont