• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

blue or a savannah.

yoyocrazy

i dont know which to get a blue tegu or a savannah monitor,i was thinking about getting a black throat from ben siegel but they get way too big.
i know a tegu will cost more then a savannah but if its what i want then ill wait.i really just want to know which are easier to care for and how good there is tempermant.
also who sales blues?and who has the best savannahs?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Savannahs are all going to be farmed or WC, and in my opinion are more difficult to care for due to their high basking temp, deep substrate, and insect diet requirements.

Tegus are easier to care for, tend to tame down much better, and are available Captive Bred and Born.

As far as blues go, you are going to have to just keep an eye on the all the classifieds and be ready to buy as soon as one becomes available, they sell fast.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Tegu's are defiantly more manageable lizards when it comes to handling. I had my tegu for a month he now approaches me, had my sav for a few months and he bites and tails whips me. Not too mention the insane high basking temps savs require.

Mostly all savs are WC, some will have CH, but that just means Captive hatches, meaning the mother was wild and caught gravid then eggs incubated in captiivity once laid. I got my sav from underground for $12.50 CB,so they say.

It's rare to find CB savs, i honestly do not know a really good place to say, other than undergroundreptiles where i got mines. You can check KingSnake and Fauna though.

Try to search for a CH if anything.

Only you can decide which one you want in the end.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange, your was $!2.50??

It is not cost effective to breed Savs, they are imported by the thousands and sold very cheap.

A true CB Sav would cost somewhere around $200 I would guess.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nobody, I'm just guessing that is what they might cost if someone had CBB Savs. You won't find them because they can be had for as little as $5.00 when bought in bulk.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Yeah mines was $12.50, under ground says he is CB,so far i have yet too see any signs of parasites. Ch or Cb what matters to me is he's healthy and vet approved.

I saw some savs for $8flat at an expo before.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Steven. said:
HOLY!!!! thats cheap.. At that price i would have all kinds of questions..lol

What kind of questions?

yoyocrazy said:
i think im just gonna wait and try and get a pair of fat tails and then next year get a nice baby blue tegu.

Do you currently have any reptiles?

Steven.

Ask about the parents. Wc or cb?... I've heard some bad things about buying reptiles at expo's and not asking questions about parents, dieting and health...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well 99.9% of Savs are WC. They are all pretty much hit or miss animals, as are alot of the less expensive monitors. All you can do is look at them and pick the one that is the most active, defensive, and healthy looking. They are going to tell you what you want to hear to make a sell anyway, your best bet is to know what you are looking for.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Steven. said:
HOLY!!!! thats cheap.. At that price i would have all kinds of questions..lol

Seems like a pretty avg, price to me. Which is why most buy them and let them die.

I like buying reptiles from expos, you get too see what exactly it is your buying up front and personal, not like online when you only have pictures and someones word. Do not get me wrong,nothings wrong with ordering offline when you buy from a reputable seller.

The thing about expos, is you just have to know who your dealing with, ask around and look for the best most active and alert reptiles in most cases.

Before i got to expos i check the vendors list so i know where i want to go to check things out, and i try to look at everything for sell first before i buy. I often end up missing out because expos sell out fast, but better safe than sorry.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would pick a tegu over a sav if you don't have much med-lg reptile experience. Tegus are a lot easier to care for and a lot easier to handle. They also seem to have a more predictable temperament. Don't get me wrong, savs are cool but they're not a good first med-lg reptile. At least it wasn't for me..

There is a blue tegu on fauna, I'm not sure if its sold or not. There is a guy on facebook (well known beardie breeder) that said hes got one clutch of blues incubating. I'm not sure if hes pre-sold them or not. I can ask him or give you the link to his page if you want. Wil might have blues this year, I'm not entirely sure though. He's easier to find on thetegu.com, I haven't seen him on here for a while. Heres the link to his website
http://captivebredcreations.com/index.html

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269475
3y/o, they want 600 + shipping

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265727
young male, no price listed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics