• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

bobby/varnyard

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Can you please break down for me a good healthy diet plan for a 16-17 inch argentine black and white tegu. I am currently feeding pinkie mice, ground turkey, boiled eggs, canned tegu food 2 times a week only because of d3 is in it. My tegu is fed everyday, i also keep the food bowl full of fresh foods all day, Is this reccomended?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
also i saw your pictures of a tegu stool with {sperm plugs} what are they and when would a male tegu start to have such an interesting stool?

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Mine get mostly mice at their age (and fruits) but also I'd suggest offering some sort of insect (roaches, super worms/meal worms/wax worms, crickets). I offered fruit right away with mine, so they would get used to it. I have one (Xander) who took right to them, and Aidan has a thing for green beans. lol!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
Can you please break down for me a good healthy diet plan for a 16-17 inch argentine black and white tegu. I am currently feeding pinkie mice, ground turkey, boiled eggs, canned tegu food 2 times a week only because of d3 is in it. My tegu is fed everyday, i also keep the food bowl full of fresh foods all day, Is this reccomended?

I feed my tegus something every day when they are not hibernating, I feed them rodents once or twice a week, fish, eggs, ground turkey with cod liver oil, beef liver, chicks, ducklings and chicken liver and gizzards.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
also i saw your pictures of a tegu stool with {sperm plugs} what are they and when would a male tegu start to have such an interesting stool?

Mine start producing them at age two, but some do not show them until age three.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Bobby you replied to all 3 of my posts, I have never met anyone who is as helpful as you are, YOUR THE BEST BOBBY!!

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
what exactly are sperm plugs and why are they defecated?
are larger hatchlings more likely to be male?
my young tegu {17inch} eats 2 fuzzy mice,2 meat ball size ground turkey balls,and 1 boiled egg everyday is that a good daily diet, or am i over feeding it?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think when they're growing it's fine to feed them as much as they want to eat.. they grow so fast they need that junk. I'm not sure how good the canned tegu foods are, I generally steer clear of canned anything. I'd throw in some occasional fish in the diet as well as some beef or chicken livers/hearts.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
i stopped feeding the can food stuff once he started eating all this,funny you said fish because he got some today.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
what exactly are sperm plugs and why are they defecated?

"sperm plug" is better referred to as a "hemipenial cast" and is comprised of shed hemipenial skin and dried mucus, with probably a dash of the reptilian equivalent to smegma.
It means he's sexually mature.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
maybe you need to read the question again, try to figure out what is being asked, if you feel you have the answer then give it another shot!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
maybe you need to read the question again, try to figure out what is being asked, if you feel you have the answer then give it another shot!!
Maybe you need to do your own research if you don't like my answer.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Dave-when i read your response to my question i did not see that your answer was in a quote box, i only saw ''sexually mature. i am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu