• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

bugs on new tegu please help!!!

drewsdragons

Ok well I posted about me getting my blue hybrid tegu from underground. I wasn't home when she arrived so she was put in a bin with papertowels and belly heat until I got home. So I just looked her over and noticed she has these little bugs crawling all over her. They are very small and brownish in coloration now I have no idea what to do I have a 4x2x2 cage all set up and now I can't put her in there... What should I do its to late to call underground and I'm extremely frustrated

dcman530

drewsdragons said:
Ok well I posted about me getting my blue hybrid tegu from underground. I wasn't home when she arrived so she was put in a bin with papertowels and belly heat until I got home. So I just looked her over and noticed she has these little bugs crawling all over her. They are very small and brownish in coloration now I have no idea what to do I have a 4x2x2 cage all set up and now I can't put her in there... What should I do its to late to call underground and I'm extremely frustrated

I would soak him in warm water for about 45 minutes then check him again. Sounds like he has mites which is common in using certain types of substrates. You might also buy some mites spray they sell at reptile stores to spray on him.

l would soak him in warm water for about 45 minutes then check him again. Sounds like he has mites which is common in using certain types of substrates. You might also buy some mites spray they sell at reptile stores to spray on him.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, put him in the bathtub with a couple inches of warm water. Try getting some Reptile Relief or Provent-a-Mite and spray it on a towel and then wipe him down with it.

drewsdragons

I put her in a warm bath and cleaned the tub she was in. I have put her back in the tub after about 30minutes in warm water. I will be contacting underground reptiles in the morning to let them know of this cause it should have been pretty obvious before shipping. I'm highly upset that I have to deal with this when I just recieved her. I just wish I was here when she first arrived so I could've gotten ahold of Ryan early instead of the next day..

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Luckily I've never had this issue and hopefully never will but in case I do I keep Provent a Mite on hand that I use with all new reps. Here's a link with something you can try.

http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow thats a bummer! Hopefully you can get in touch with him tomorrow. Yes, keep us updated. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with mites but the link bubblz posted has a ton of seemingly good info.

drewsdragons

I've never had to deal with mites either so I'm pretty clueless. I just got off the phone with Ryan at underground and he told me they are not mites he said the reptibark that they use from zilla usually carries small bugs and that mites stay under the scales of lizards and since they were crawling that means they are not mites. He wants me to send him pictures of the gu so he can see the mites but I cant pic up the bugs with the,camera the gu is dark in coloration so picking up Brownish bugs on a black tegu is almost impossible as the bugs are tiny. Does anyone have any sugestions on how I can show proof of these mites. I was also told if they are mites he will send me a homemade mite spray which will not affect the tegu herself

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you put some of the bugs on a white paper towel or piece of paper so he can see the bugs?

drewsdragons

I just soaked her again and rubbed her down with a paper towel to pic up anything and all that came off was 2 dead bugs so hopefully they aren't mites. And I also took pics of the two dead bugs on the paper towel and when I uploaded them to my computer they don't even show I have a very low quality camera

MCoakley

Look up springtails... sometimes they show up in the substrate. They are harmless - although I would still try to get rid of them in case they could possibly annoy or stress out your tegu for some reason (?)

drewsdragons

I just looked those up and that's not what o seen on her. They were round and smaller than that. I'm still monitoring her bit haven't seen anything on her after the secoond bath other then the two dead ones. Is it say to put her in her enclosure?? I tried feeding her in the bin and she refused. Should I keep her on The bin for a few more days just in case??

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would keep her in the bin to prevent the enclosure substrate from getting infested. Mites are generally black, could they be ticks?

drewsdragons

I'm not sure what they are. I've never had this happen before so I'm trying to look it up and find out. I held her for a few minutes after the bath and trying to take pics for underground but I didn't have nothing crawling on my hands as I did last night when I picked her up for a few moments so Im guessing that's a good sign. I just sent underground pics of the tegu and the papertowel but the pics are kinda fuzzy so you can't see anything on the paper towel and I don't see anything crawling freely on her as I did yesterday

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu