• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

caiman lizard enclosure

bwiegmann

Hi everyone! I'm new to tegu talk, so bear with me! :D ok so I got my caiman lizard, Kyle, about a week ago. He is my little pride and joy and cannot believe I finally have him, as I've wanted one of these since I was 10 years old lol! Ok so down to buisness. I want to build him an awesome cage, to suit him his entire life. I think it'll be 7' long by 4' tall, by 3' deep. I want all the fixins, his own pond, with self draining pump and waterfall, rock formations, best lighting etc. I basically want it to look like a zoo enclosure, but also look nice enough to put in the living room. Everything I see is either not very aestetically appealing, or is missing key elements of the semi aquatic needs of my little Kyle :) I'm just looking for advise on how to either get plans or where to start, I know what I want I just have never built anything before, that being said, I think I'm also very fearful of using anything that may be toxic or harmful to him. So if anyone has done a semi aquatic large enclosure, or knows of good plans, or just has any really cool ideas that would make mules life better, I am all ears!!! He will be indoors, ambient room temp is 72-73 degrees in the morning, goes down to 69-71 at night. Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks!!

~Brynn

Attachments

• IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98

Ntyvirus

There's a decent sized caiman lizard I less with where I work but I don't have the space to take him home[attachment=4907] to make your life easier, wherever your water section is ad a spicier or something to drain the water or you will be hating life. Also get a good source for snails

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346203304.110630.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346203304.110630.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 67

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann you better listen to ntyvirus i have a caiman lizard ae well and i put a fish tank inside his enclosure i have water heater and a filter and you still have to change the water every other day i really really hate it....but Rowley(sorry my caiman) love's it and what ever you do make sure he has a lot of land space people will tell you they dont need it to do half and half but they really need land space...Rowley love land when he is done basking he love to dig and lay around...my caiman sleeps inside is fish tank and during the day he's in land unless he has to put then he goes in and comes out...i keep his basking spot @ 125F and humidity @ 80....and another thing they dont like it when you move their stuff around(decor,water spot,and basking spot) every time i move rowley's thing's around he wont eat i really dont know why but he doesn't.....pic's of Rowley and his enclosure...i bought Rowley where Ntyvirus works and he very good with reptile's (What's up Ntyvirus)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2805/rowleyj.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2650/rowleyenclosure.jpg

bwiegmann

Thanks for the advise guys!! Right now he's in a 55, with a big deep tupperware that's 16" long, and 6" deep, it has a filter in it and a heater, and I'm changing about 1/2 the water every other day. He has about 3' of land, and lots of climbing space, also about 6" of Eco earth th dig in if he wants :) he seems happy and relaxed, he likes laying under the basking spot on the ground, not on his branch, which I thought was odd, but he knows what he wants right? Lol the basking spot is at 110 degrees, and the ambient temp is at 74-76 degrees. I really want to make him an awesome cage!! I wish I knew what I was doing on that end lol!! I'm hoping to figure it out, I have a few friends who own their own
custom fishtank buisnesses, so mayb I will try to partner with them to get ideas as well. Do your guys' caimans lay around a lot? Kyle is about 18" now, eats basically every day (not as much as I want him too but we will get there!) I think I'm getting nervous over nothing, but I just want him to be as healthy as possible! He also does not spend a lot of time in the water? Thanks for the advise!!

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann said:
Thanks for the advise guys!! Right now he's in a 55, with a big deep tupperware that's 16" long, and 6" deep, it has a filter in it and a heater, and I'm changing about 1/2 the water every other day. He has about 3' of land, and lots of climbing space, also about 6" of Eco earth th dig in if he wants :) he seems happy and relaxed, he likes laying under the basking spot on the ground, not on his branch, which I thought was odd, but he knows what he wants right? Lol the basking spot is at 110 degrees, and the ambient temp is at 74-76 degrees. I really want to make him an awesome cage!! I wish I knew what I was doing on that end lol!! I'm hoping to figure it out, I have a few friends who own their own
custom fishtank buisnesses, so mayb I will try to partner with them to get ideas as well. Do your guys' caimans lay around a lot? Kyle is about 18" now, eats basically every day (not as much as I want him too but we will get there!) I think I'm getting nervous over nothing, but I just want him to be as healthy as possible! He also does not spend a lot of time in the water? Thanks for the advise!!

well to be honest my caiman eats everyday i mean if i miss a meal he at the window like HELLO were's my food lolol....he love's to climb i mean i have vines and tree branches and he will climb all over the place bask for a short time dig and hide lolol he's my favorite and i have a bearded,2 red tegus,and a blue tree monitor(mean as hell wild caught) and i take Rowley out and we chill watch t.v till he's had enough then he will climb up into his enclosure and call it a day.....but like i said they have there own mind and do what they want to do...im having problems with my caiman lizard now for the last to days he wont let me pet him touch him nothing he has been acting very skiddish and i can't figure out why he even started tail whipping again.. i hope its a stage he is going threw...i miss the good Rowley....but i hope you saw the pic's of his enclosure and you like them and hopefully they gave you an idea of what to do with his enclosure....GOOD LUCK and make sure you send me pic's and keep me posted as well as updated with what you end up doing for him/her

bwiegmann

I will! And I hope rowley gets out of that funk he's in soon for ya!!! I'm taking Kyle in tomorrow for his first checkup lol, wish us luck!!

O and BTW ur setup looks awesome!!
This is Kyle's right now, he seems happy :) for now lol
[attachment=4934]

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bump the basking spot up to around 120 to 130 and get a heater for the water if its below 78 degrees, they like the water between 78 to 80. Make sure to change the whole tub as often as possible. I sadly lost my first caiman lizard Bacardi to a brain infection due to a fault in the filtration. I had him for a year and a half and he was my buddy I would hate to see someone go through what I did.

Honestly the adult cage may not look that great. Those zoo exhibits are a pain in the *** to clean, take it from me I have helped clean them from time to time. Sturdy branches as well, none of those thin things.

Some caiman lizards live in their water tubs, others do not. Try raising the basking temp and see if that changes anything.

bwiegmann

Thanks will be getting a 150 watt today!!! :)

I am so sorry for your loss :( if you don't mind me asking, what was the problem with the filtration? Should I just take the filter out and change his water daily?? I'm scared now lol!! That must have been so hard to deal with, I couldn't even imagine :( ill raise the water temp to 80 too, its at 77 right now thanks a ton!!

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann said:
Thanks will be getting a 150 watt today!!! :)

I am so sorry for your loss :( if you don't mind me asking, what was the problem with the filtration? Should I just take the filter out and change his water daily?? I'm scared now lol!! That must have been so hard to deal with, I couldn't even imagine :( ill raise the water temp to 80 too, its at 77 right now thanks a ton!!

i wish you guys luck at the vet tomorrow...make sure you take pic's and post them up lolol....i looked at you setup cool i like it..lol...i would change the water everyday thats what i started doing but i would take all the advise you can from chelvis this dude really knows his s**t...everytime i post im always waiting for his response....even though im still waiting for that care sheet.....lolol(sorry chelvis) but yea bwiegmann make sure you always ask chelvis and take his advise i haven't found anybody else thats as good as him....GOOD LUCK

bwiegmann

Awesome :) and you can call me Brynn its my real name Haha, don't know why I didn't use it as my un but o well! Thanks for all the advise!! O and if everyone is wondering if I'm a loser who sits by the comp all day waiting for replies..... Well I kinda am, for now lol. I just had surgery and am in bed for two weeks! So I'm really not usually this lame ;) lol talk to yall later!!

O god, I forgot to ask! I am a general manager at petco, so I come across a lot of new products etc. Well Idk if anyone knows but welness has a dog food that is 95% salmon. The ingredients are salmon, water for processing, natural flavors, cassia gum, and carrageenan. I was wondering if you guys would think this is a good addition? I know sodium is a big issue when feeding canned diets, so I asked welness what the sod. Content was and they said .19% problem is Idk what is acceptable lol. Just figured I'd run it past everyone, they have different protien sources too. I wanted to ask b 4 I run out and buy any :), well have my b/f go get some lol damn Bedrest!!! I've always been leary of canned diets for herps, but have never seen one that has these quality of ingredients, well see!

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann said:
Awesome :) and you can call me Brynn its my real name Haha, don't know why I didn't use it as my un but o well! Thanks for all the advise!! O and if everyone is wondering if I'm a loser who sits by the comp all day waiting for replies..... Well I kinda am, for now lol. I just had surgery and am in bed for two weeks! So I'm really not usually this lame ;) lol talk to yall later!!

O god, I forgot to ask! I am a general manager at petco, so I come across a lot of new products etc. Well Idk if anyone knows but welness has a dog food that is 95% salmon. The ingredients are salmon, water for processing, natural flavors, cassia gum, and carrageenan. I was wondering if you guys would think this is a good addition? I know sodium is a big issue when feeding canned diets, so I asked welness what the sod. Content was and they said .19% problem is Idk what is acceptable lol. Just figured I'd run it past everyone, they have different protien sources too. I wanted to ask b 4 I run out and buy any :), well have my b/f go get some lol damn Bedrest!!! I've always been leary of canned diets for herps, but have never seen one that has these quality of ingredients, well see!

my last post brynn lololol i really would stay away from caned food its meant for dogs or cats...im doing research on this thing called croc-chow a zoologist from miami zoo told me this is great for caiman lizards them by pure luck i meet some dude by the name mike and he told me the samething so when im done researching it i was gonna run it past chelvis but its all natural and organic

bwiegmann

Yea!!! Lol! Are you from around there??

And to Dr. Pepper4, let me know about that croc chow :) I know mazuri likes to put lots of grains in their foods, but if its being reccomended by pros, it won't hurt to add it to the diet :) variety lol.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann said:
Yea!!! Lol! Are you from around there??

And to Dr. Pepper4, let me know about that croc chow :) I know mazuri likes to put lots of grains in their foods, but if its being reccomended by pros, it won't hurt to add it to the diet :) variety lol.

hey just wanted to wish you and kyle(actually kyle cause he's going to be the one getting check lololol) good luck and i hope they find him in the best of health shape and so on.....and on the croc-show i've also heard the same thing about how much grain mazuri pellets have but a zoologist and some dude name mike swore by it...im driving down with my wife and hopefully rowley on saturday to a mazuri stop about an hour away so i'll keep you post i'll get all the facts and try to pass them over then you chose wether or not you'll try it.....ooh and 3rd day with Mr.Attitude i turned on the lights i reached in the enclosure to pet him and he actually bit me and boy oh boy they bite hard left me bleeding i really dont know what the heck is problem is...well thanks for letting me vent.....ME AND ROWLEY ARE KEEPING ARE FINGERS CROSSED FOR KYLE ..:D

bwiegmann

Ugh....... That sucks!!!! Rowley be nice to your parents!! Lol yea I wouldn't imagine their bite feeling to good lol. Well I had to reschedule kyles appt to tomorrow.. had my stitches taken out yesterday, and I guess they came out a little to early because I woke up and one of my incisions was still open a little and bleeding. Doc said to watch it, see if it'll scab on its own(small incision, and not open too bad) and if it won't close, to go see him... Grrrrrrr..... I was finally going to get out of this house!! Lol o well I will Tomorrow :) and Kyle gets a free day Hehe, I'm assuming he will not enjoy being poked and prodded and oggled at by everyone ;) and he ate a TON last night, climbed right up on his basking spot n basked in his light, so yea I was freaking out over nothing, I snapped some pics lol :)

[attachment=4937]

[attachment=4938]

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey sorry I don't have internet at my house so it takes me longer to respond, lol. I had a Fluval 305 filter hooked up to a timing system that way Bacardi didn't have to have a constant current in the pool. Sadly the timing system failed (independent of the lighting) and was only running for about 20 mins to 2 hours a day not the 6 hours I had hopped. The filter was constantly clogging up as well. In the end no filter truly removes the bacteria load that is emitted in the waste, even with the UV sanitizer it would be hard to remove it all. Unless you move to a large and I mean very large pond this is something you will have to think about. The larger the pond the more dilute everything is, after all "the solution to pollution is dilution" sorry corny old policy slogan.

As for the croc diet, people are having some good success using it, Bacardi loved it! Darwin seems warry of it. Truatula Inc sells in small qty so you do not have to buy a big old 50lbs bag. There is grain in it and by-product. Mazuri is owned by Purina and if you talk to their nutritionist it doesn't matter what the ingiediants are as long as you meet all the nutritional requirements and the animal will eat it. Gator farmers feed this stuff all the time and don't seem to have too much of a issue. I used it more as a treat then a main part of the diet.

bwiegmann

Lol, like that mantra... ;) ok so im changing his water every day, no reason to risk it when its such an easy task. Thanks for the info on the crock chow, ill be picking some up for some variety :) luckily I don't have to leave the house to order it online, muahaha!! Sorry I'm really bored!! Lol cool cool, ill let everyone know how tomorrow goes! *fingers crossed*

nessanicolle

Yeah! Geneva to be exact. I was just there a couple weeks ago to get my second baby colombian! It's my favorite exotic pet store around.

bwiegmann

That's awesome!!! Hehe yea I use to live out in oswego, moved to chesterton Indiana a few months ago, so I drove 2 hours to get him, he's Sooo worth it tho! They did a great job with him, and they have a cool shop :) so we use to be neighbors lol!

Well we were kinda neighbors, genevas still pretty far from oswego!

O and chelvis, I bumped up the water temp up to 80 n he looooooovvveeesss it!!! Haha ur the best :) thank you n Dr I don't know what I'd do without u guys lol keeping Kyle happy and me sane ;) ill post an update after his vet visit tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu