• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can a tegu do fine without whole prey?

Raicardoso

I don't have a tegu yet, i've been doing excessive research before i buy one. One thing i learned(maybe :p) is that whole prey is important because of the calcium in the bones? I can't see myself feeding rats or quail. Maybe F/T rats but not quail. Can a tegu be healthy still without that whole prey?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You will have to make sure that it has a varied diet, so the answer is yes but with work. Whole prey isn't just about the calcium in bones, its the vitamins in the organ, the iron in the blood, the fiber in the skin and fur... etc. Basically you will have to create a balanced whole diet for your tegu.

Now the upside is that it does not mean feeding live, in fact F/T is safer for the tegu and often times healthier and easier. Tegus tend not to be picky eaters. There are also whole ground dog diets that tegus will eat. A whole ground is when they ground the whole animals (quail, rabbit, mice, rat etc) instead of just the meat. Many people on the form use http://www.hare-today.com/ to get their whole ground.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
The fibre in the fur/feathers of prey is not digestive fibre, or in other words it won't help in the digestive process. It is too long and non-soluble, and it in fact tends to block up the intestinal passage (ie. impaction) in conditions of suboptimum husbandry.

Skeetzy

I too have an issue with feeding whole prey. Well alive whole prey. I can't doom another animal to its death, I feel wrong about it. I don't look down upon others who do, I just can't deal with the squeaking lol. I purchase F/T mice from my local pet store as a part of my tegus diet. The other part is different meats from hare-today.com.

My tegu was barely a foot, and super small when he woke up from hibernation, 4 and a half months ago. He's now well over 3 feet and growing fast. He sheds perfectly and seems very healthy. This is with feeding him the meat from hare 5 days a week, and whole prey 2 days a week. I supplement the hare today meat with 1 tbsp of calcium powder with no d3 per pound. I also try to offer fruits as often as possible. I got a very picky eater when it comes to fruits so that isn't too often.

Raicardoso

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful response!
Chelvis- So does whole ground meat have pretty much the same nutritional value as a whole prey meal? Or what would be the difference? Some extra calcium dusting on the ground meat? I also remember seeing some thread about a person being concerned with the bone pieces in their meat from hare-today being too big and dangerous for their tegu. That may have been coarse meat though.

Roadkill- Do you skin your animals then?

Skeetzy- How much ( in terms of weight) does your tegu eat of that hare-today meat? And do you have it prepared before? Like you said you have 1 tbsp of calcium powder without d3 per pound, do you have it already all prepared in a bag or something and then when it's feeding time you take it out or you just prepare it when you need it?

Tannaros

Roadkill- Do you skin your animals then?

I believe he simply meant to point out that the fur, combined with improper husbandry, actually produces a negative effect rather than the desirable one commonly associated with "whole" foods.

The fibre in the fur/feathers of prey is not digestive fibre, or in other words it won't help in the digestive process. It is too long and non-soluble, and it in fact tends to block up the intestinal passage (ie. impaction) in conditions of suboptimum husbandry.

jtrux

5 Year Member
I fed mine one hopper but don't plan on doing it again. If the diet is complete elsewhere, it's not needed.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I believe he simply meant to point out that the fur, combined with improper husbandry, actually produces a negative effect rather than the desirable one commonly associated with "whole" foods.
Basically, yes. Fur, hair, nails, these are all keratin and tegus (or any vertebrate) cannot digest keratin. Digestive fibre is fibre that is soluble and helps gut motility. Fur is NOT this type of fibre. It can lead to impaction, but just because your tegu ate a mouse/rat/etc. doesn't mean it will become impacted. Too many people think impaction is due to something consumed, when (in exception of large, undigestible items) in reality impaction is usually a symptom of poor health in the first place. No, I do not skin rodents that I feed to my tegus. However, I make sure to use abundant greens and fruits when I make 'mash', AND I use digestive fibre supplement in my 'mash'.

Raicardoso

I remember a very nice list being posted on the forums of good foods to feed the tegu a long time ago, but i can't find it anymore. Anyone happen to have it?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hair and feather have been shown to help with solid fecal rather then runny. Is it digestible no but its is passable. Many impactions are due to dehydration combined with low temps or ingestion of hard undigestible objects like wood. Many animals will pass fur with little issues same with feather.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Hair and feather have been shown to help with solid fecal rather then runny.
I'd be very surprised if you could back this claim up with a peer reviewed article.

You are right that healthy animals can typically pass fur with little issue. However, fur has often been a complicating factor in animals having health issues. Just like not all cats have issues with hairballs, same deal here.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You are right that I may not be able to back this up with an article at this time, I bet there is one out there. Having worked with nurmous reptiles, and mammalian reptiles I am talking from personal experience. When I give the wolves I currently work with a whole deer they eat almost everything except the largest bones, comparing their poop to that after they get a skinned deer is like night or day. Same with the beef and tigers, lions and bobcats. Bone also affects this but like I said in these cases it was just the hide that was removed.

I see the same thing with the tegus. When I give Bosco and Bucky their rats and mice the poop quality is much more solid then when they get thier chicken wings and quails. From a richness and fat content the mice and rats are higher and should cause more lose stool then the chicken or quail which is just meat and bone.

Basically what I am trying to say is reptiles evolve to eat almost anything. If you well tegus wouldn't be eating that much small vertebrates and birds out in the wild (I agree) they would still be eating lots on invertebrates that have hard cariton shells and exo-sckeletons. Those have the same composition as hair, fur and feather and yet tegus have no problem passing them.

I am not saying that too much fur won't block up a tegu, but I honestly think that its blamed in most cases where its not a factor. Its also why I say a varied diet is best not just mice and rats.

Raicardoso

So what do you guys think a good feeding schedule is? different ground meat/ veggies and fruits ( if they accept it, i know a lot of tegus don't) 5 days of the week and the other 2 whole prey?

jtrux

5 Year Member
I feed mine daily with small meals. The only thing I feed are tilapia chunks, ground turkey, chicken hearts, chicken livers, eggs, tortoise mazuri (vegetable matter) and I dust all of it. I wouldn't feed whole prey more than every other week.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My adults get mice once a week and ground rabbit twice a week, veggies and fruits mixed into the ground rabbit. The baby tegu gets what ever she will eat and as much as she will eat. When Bucky was smaller I would give her three mice a week (size of mice depended on her size), ground rabbit, shrimp, quail, eggs etc... anything she would eat until around a year of age.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Why consider a animal you don't feel comfortable feeding....can it be done without? yes, Is it easy? No. Are there risks? Yes

I'd considered getting a blue tongue or something you don't need whole prey on?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Just buy the ground up rabbits, can't recall where you get them, but if you're worried about providing a full meal that would be a relevant solution. Also, whole fish would be a good choice as well. Whole prey doesn't necessarily mean mammal.

jtrux

5 Year Member
But like I said, I don't offer them to mine ( I did once but don't anymore ) and he's doing fine. I offer mine a prepared food called Mazuri, they make several types..tortoise, omnivore and crocodile. They are intended to be a complete food source for the implied animals. I offer it to my tegu daily and he eats it right up. It's a helluva lot cheaper and easier to feed than all the other choices out there. I do feed other stuff but this makes up the majority of his diet.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I personally don't like given them too much Mazuri, lots of grains which most reptiles don't do a good job digesting and can cause an increase in gas. Even for the wolves we don't feed them just Mazuri, they get the kibble but also whole deer, whole cow, whole chicken... see where this is going.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus