• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can tegus eat expired meat?

Jocierk

I know they can handle foods that would make a person sick, raw fish for instance. I have some turkey that I forgot to stick in the freezer and its about a week past due. Obviously I don't want to feed him anything that will make him sick so I thought I would ask. Any opinions? Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seems a little late. At least could introduce salmonella= ditch it.

N8bub

He can probably eat it, they certainly scavenge in the wild, but as walt alluded to you can introduce bacteria into your tegus gut he might be able to handle but you can't. Be extra cautious if you have children in the home.

DougY

I know they can handle foods that would make a person sick, raw fish for instance. I have some turkey that I forgot to stick in the freezer and its about a week past due. Obviously I don't want to feed him anything that will make him sick so I thought I would ask. Any opinions? Thanks!

Would YOU eat meat with an out of date expiration?
So why would you feed it to your Tegu?

DougY

I apologize if I sounded critical.i know that they probably eat roadkill and carrion in the wild, but personally, I won't feed my critters old food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu