• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can tegus eat live / Prekilled chicken?

Roadkill

5 Year Member
The answer to all is yes. Your tegu can also contract Salmonella from ground beef, mice, apples, Republicans, and last weeks lottery ticket. Salmonella is a bacteria, and it can contaminate anything that isn't kept clean. Chicken/chicks are a concern to many because of the way many are farmed, in rather filthy conditions. Same can happen to any other food animal not raised with sanitation and wellbeing in mind.

Abigail

The answer to all is yes. Your tegu can also contract Salmonella from ground beef, mice, apples, Republicans, and last weeks lottery ticket. Salmonella is a bacteria, and it can contaminate anything that isn't kept clean. Chicken/chicks are a concern to many because of the way many are farmed, in rather filthy conditions. Same can happen to any other food animal not raised with sanitation and wellbeing in mind.

Thank you :) we were thinking of getting 10 live chicks for about 3$ (wed have to freeze or prekill of course) since it was such a deal. Think its ok? They come from our local farms

Mootworm

That should be fine. In general, small farms are cleaner than the factories we get our meat from. Plus you're supporting local business! ! Win win :) I would definitely prekill though.

Abigail

That should be fine. In general, small farms are cleaner than the factories we get our meat from. Plus you're supporting local business! ! Win win :) I would definitely prekill though.

Yes I will prekill, I would feel so bad for it >.< plus he doesnt eat live, he just plays with them -_-... Not aggressively, but actually plays with them. I had to kill his mouse earlier, then he shook it and tossed it everywhere, and never ate it! What a brat.

Mootworm

Yes I will prekill, I would feel so bad for it >.< plus he doesnt eat live, he just plays with them -_-... Not aggressively, but actually plays with them. I had to kill his mouse earlier, then he shook it and tossed it everywhere, and never ate it! What a brat.

Ugh that's awful! They really are like cats lol. Although I think my cats might eventually kill a rat or chick :) I tried a live pup once (I haven't been able to get mine to eat whole prey yet) and Molly just snuggled up next to it. We're working on the whole eating thing haha.

Abigail

Ugh that's awful! They really are like cats lol. Although I think my cats might eventually kill a rat or chick :) I tried a live pup once (I haven't been able to get mine to eat whole prey yet) and Molly just snuggled up next to it. We're working on the whole eating thing haha.

Yaaaaa XD they are sure weird creatures sometimes! So funny though, I love their personalities

Scale1234

Hey guys, I have been researching tegus for a long time now and I am so close to getting one but there is still just one problem,I am worried that these cute little guys contain salmonella and I Could get it by handling them. Is this salmonella a big thing or is it not a big deal???

viejo

5 Year Member
As Roadkill said above. All living organisms can carry salmonella. It's all about cleanliness.

DougY

Republicans? Really??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu