• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

carpet python advice

kurtle55

5 Year Member
i am thinking about getting a new snake and a carpet python is one that i am seriously considering but the only problem is most care sheets i am looking at are not very clear on how to take care of them. so some of my questions are...

what are the size difference between the different species of carpets and what are their caging requirements? this is all i really need to know but if anyone would like to share personal experience or a good website on them that would be greatly appreciated.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I picked up a Jungle Carpet x Irian Jaya about two months ago. She's about 4-5 ft long and I have her in a 40 gallon breeder. She uses about 1 sq. foot of that enclosure and wastes the rest lol. I also have a bamboo stick setup where she can wind around it and bask under the heat. She seems to like that. She will get to be between 6-8 ft long.

The coastal carpet will get between 10 and 12 ft. Many people say they have a better temperament then the jungles. They need a larger tank than a 40 breeder I'd say, and I think they are more active.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Irian jayas are "small" (though still a bigger snake) and their temperments are a hit or miss. Females tend to be rather small. Carpets tend to have a REALLY aggressive feeding repsonse but tend to calm down outside of the cage. Some advice though, DO NOT over feed carpets, they should be fed less meals than most pythons and this is one of the biggest mistakes in captivity. People mistake their feeding response as wanting more to eat lol.
I would probably say Irian Jaya carpets are the better option if you are concerned about size and stuff. That and they look awesome and are easy to breed. As far as species go, its very very very hard to get a non crossed australian carpet (Moreli spilota ssp). Ashesc is definitely right though, most carpets need larger cages as well. I would say to do a minimum of 6ft H x 3ft D x 3ft H.
Another species to look into are Bredls Carpets (Morelia bredli). From a few friends of mine who breed them/work with them say they tend to be a bit more terrestrial and lazy lol. Though they are incredibly easy to breed and theres no real locality difference on them (if you are a local freak). Though, some do tend to hold more red as adults. They said they are the morelia version of a burmese python (in regards to laziness). Also, they come from dry regions.
Its mostly just what you are looking for as far as activity/cage set up/space. But either way I find all carpets appealing and fun to work with. I have a trio of pure jungles from wc parents and they are fun. Irian Jayas (Morelia variegata ssp) are a failsafe. Easy to care for, breed, good temperment (as long as foods not around), active at night, and manageable. Go with a female if you want a small sized one though.

-Jon DeLong

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Look for some breeders sites, they all have good information.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet_jungle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet_jungle.htm</a><!-- m -->

kurtle55

5 Year Member
but beazel says i need a 6ftX3ftX3ft. and that they don't need to climb. i'm not trying to be picky but i dont want to get one and not properly house it

Beazer

5 Year Member
The bredls dont climb as much and tend to be lazier, but the other carpets especially need the climbing space. I don't believe in cramming an animal in minimum enclosures though. Especially the more active species.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tegulover310