• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Choosing My Tegu!!

zlew19

Hi all, my name is Zach and I finally got permission for a tegu. Currently I have a panther chameleon (mine), two dogs and a rabbit (family pets). I work at a nature center and I have a passion for animals. I actually work there with another member @Levon, and fell in love with his tegu Maria just as we found she was friendly and he took her home :/. Now I have been working with the other tegu that is more aggressive, and try to get him happier, but I still want a tegu of my own :). Im not sure which breed I want, but I definitely would like a female. I will be getting her at a reptile expo November 30th (I'm really just planning to fall in love with one), but I'm not confident that I will be able to check to see if it is healthy and I had a disastrous experience with a chameleon I got at an expo. Long story short, it died in three days of pain and the person I bought him from gave a disconnected number. So, naturally, I'm distrusting of rexpo vendors. How do I check for a healthy tegu and how do I know if it is a female? (I will be trying to get a fairly young one so I can watch it grow)

sage

I'm not an expert but always check for mites or other parasites, swollen limbs, make sure they seem alert and there eyes are healthy looking and no start to mouth rot , I like to make sure for lizards that they have a full tail but that isn't quite a health concern

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Which expo are you going to? Check the vendor list before you go and do some research on what companies are reputable and which are not. There are only a handful of people that offer tegus so you won't have a whole lot of options but there are definitely some things you can research beforehand in addition to checking for the things @sage mentioned above...

N8bub

I personally think you should look for curious or inquisitive animals. I would even say a little squirrely just not overly flighty. If they are active at the show they'll probably be active at home.

Jazzyjnoah

Hello there! I'm going to school to become a vet Tech and just had my exotics class. Make sure they are hydrated, tent the skin on a leg or anywhere there is loose skin and it should go back to its original form. Look for any nasal or eye discharge. You should be able to feel ribs and spine but not see it (especially the spin or the pelvic bones). Also look at the overall muscle mass. As someone said above, see if you can get a look in the mouth to check for any issues such as mouth rot. And just look at the overall alertness of the animal. I hope this helps and I hope all goes well for you and your new tegu!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu