• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

creative ways to get a tegu to eat somthing other then rats?

armison89

im getting a 2010 male giant who hasnt hibernated off craigslist today. the guy feeds him 5 rat pinks a day and says the tegu doest really like turkey. does anyone know how i can get him to eat somthing other then the rats.

G

Re: creative ways to get a tegu to eat somthing other then r

cod liver oil might be worth a shot. i haven't tried it but i've seen a lot of people mention adding it onto meals. my tegu loves talapia and chicken necks/livers as well as eggs.

G

Its not very creative but let him fast for a few days then put a nice plate of turkey in pinky rat sized bites ... He should eat ... Mine would just eat mice if he could ..

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member

Try cod liver oil with ground turkey, eggs, and some tilapia fillets. All of my tegus love that stuff.

G

Its not very creative but it worked for me. For the about a month straight my EGT Sully wouldnt eat anything but Mice, rats and wax worms. So someone told me to not feed him for a couple days and then offer him something. I didnt feed my gu for 3 days then offered him some bloody turkey hearts, and he gobbled it down, ever since then he will eat pretty much anything! Also, if you can get a hold of some Dubia Roaches my gu absolutely cant get enough of them. Its better than crickets, (softer shell and more meat). Do some research on them and you'll get the idea. Pricey but worth every penny if you breed em.

Hope i helped some!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Try the opposite of not feeding for a few days and feed smaller meals more often. The idea is to keep it hungry for a while to make it easier to introduce new things. With out having to stop feeding for a while. When they're hungry, they are more active and trying to find things to eat and that are edible.

Orion

5 Year Member

If I find that taking the thing that they like and rubbing it on the thing you are trying to get them to eat. My Tegus never would eat fruit so I started dropping them into the blood from the livers I was feeding them. Now all 3 of them will eat fruit. I had one Tegu that the owner only fed mice to and I would rub the mouse on her food, after a couple of days she would eat the ground/talapia/livers/chicken/grapes and strawberries with zest

slideaboot

5 Year Member

If your tegu is mowing down 5 rat pinks a day, a couple days break isn't going to hurt it any. In fact, the break might be welcomed by his digestive system. The break will definitely entice him to eat other things, though.

I'd love to see pictures of another extreme giant that didn't hibernate though--mine didin't hibernate and put on some pretty good size this year.

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member

i sold the tegu I had that ate rats and mice only. She has been doing that for 5 years, I think she was in a straight line. The other 3 eat anything I give them from tilapia, ground beef, pork or steak, wait no I dont buy pork or havent recently, just steak and the coil liver oil is just a supplement not an attractant to food. My giant ate a banana yesterday and pooped it the next day. thats an amazingly quick process

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu