• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cypress in Lucky's Poop (sorry didn't mean cedar before)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Is it possible that it is too early for Lucky to be housed on cedar bedding? I noticed that he has been having a lot of urates with a large portion of liquid and not much else for a week (no poop section). I took out the bedding and when he pooped again, there was a lot of cedar in it. He's only about 17.5" long and 9-10 weeks old.

Note: I have been feeding him out of the tank.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe he takes after his Father!!! ;) He's impacted himself 3 times in the past year. He's been living on the vinyl floor in his enclosure with a couple of ramp/hides. I don't know what to put him on! It needs to hold humidity, be able to burrow in it, not get dusty and not cause impaction if eaten. I'm thinking of shredded newspaper, but that's alot of newspaper in a 7ft x 3ft enclosure.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I have Lucky on newspaper right now. The cedar really helped with the humidity and I am now having the same conundrum. The newspaper just doesn't cut it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
I have Lucky on newspaper right now. The cedar really helped with the humidity and I am now having the same conundrum. The newspaper just doesn't cut it.
I know your pain!! But ours seem to be shedding in big chunks, so either they're laying in their water or they run through the water and get the newspaper wet. It's never dry in there. As long as they're smart enough to lay on the slate to bask and not lay on the wet newspaper all day.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ashesc212, cedar is toxic to reptiles, it can kill your tegu. You might want to get him on something else before he starts having problems.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Ashesc212, cedar is toxic to reptiles, it can kill your tegu. You might want to get him on something else before he starts having problems.

Sorry I meant Cypress...

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
ashesc212 said:
VARNYARD said:

Sorry I meant Cypress...
WOW!!! I didn't even see that, I knew what you meant.

LOL, I guess we are on the same wavelength. :-D

So I think I'm going to feed Lucky outside the cage still but also offer food inside in case he is hungry throughout the day. I'm worried about whether or not he is getting enough nutrients and calcium. This way I can keep track of everything better for a while. I'm keeping the cypress out of course until he proves that he is mature enough to handle it lol...yep, I treat him like he is my kid haha.

The only other thing I changed recently was his basking light. He now has a T-Rex mercury vapor bulb. I have it over 12" away from him to the point where the basking spot is 103-105 degrees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu