• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Demogorgon prolapse!

juliacuunjieng

Something crazy happened today, thought you'd like to know what's happened.

Demogorgon was hanging with me in my room when he began to poo, so i brought him into the bathroom. I was watching him from a far, waiting to clean it up. It was taking him a while, but he looked fine so I left him alone for a few minutes... I'm never going to do that again...

I looked back and he looked like he was trying to get something off of him, something near his tail. I went there to check it out, and he as he was pooing, his large intestine actually came out! It was huge, it was almost as big as his head. I freaked out naturally and brought him straight to the vet. They said his intestine was to swollen to push back in right away so they had to bring down the swelling with ice, which worked thank god. He's been put under observation overnight and they said they may have to suture something to keep it from happening again, but it looks like he'll be good as new soon enough.

I feel awful that I let this happen though... such a stressful day, but at least his in good hands.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad :) to hear he's okay and you caught it early. Sounds like it's time for a diet change, what are you feeding him? Prolapses are usually caused by straining to pass poop or urates that are too hard and or large. Some of which can be diet and hydration related.

juliacuunjieng

I feed him raw turkey with calcium supplements together with mealworms and other treats like that. I've also been trying to introduce him to veggies and fruits, but he hasn't quite learned to love them yet.
He's under observation, so hopefully the vets could tell me what to change in his diet. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jungle Jamz