• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Desktop dinosaur

The captain

5 Year Member
Here is Mr. bean again.

He is very wild! :shock:
hopefully he chills down.

also a pic of the "kink" he had it when i got him in the mail. Will he grow out of it? he only ate a tiny bit of turkey today. his appetite needs work!

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

thanks
Sam

Beasty

5 Year Member
Both my extremes have some sort of kink like that as most seem to. Notice in one of Bobby's videos of Blizard he has it too. I don't know what that's about or if it will grow out of it.
My 100% blue, however, which are supposed to be so inbred, is absolutely perfect and my hybrid 75%blue X 25% red is the most perfectly formed healthy tegu I have.(short of his missing toe he came with)
So, your guess is as good as mine. As long as they eat well and shed right and you have husbandry right, they should be fine.

My little female extreme isn't such a great eater either. (she appears to have had her back broken at some point during hibernation-healed now, she's fine, just lumpy) You might try bumping up temps a bit and offering more roaches, chicken hearts and rodents.(thawed of course) My extremes are quite wild too compared to the blues. I'll have to work with them more I guess. The other two will come to my hand and chill with me...usually.

The captain

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. Is it bad to feed 2 rodents per week? it seems hes bananas for the fuzzies!

he refuses to eat insects. Is this a bad thing? he will take a little turkey or a fuzzy. But he shows no interest in any bugs.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Bananas should only be as a rare treat since they're not good for them.(yes they may eat bananas- just re-read your post :doh )
I forget exactly what the deal is but seems it throws off the phosphorus ratio or something if they eat too much.(or some such) Same with scrambled eggs.
No more than once a week with either.

Mine showed no interest in bugs either until after hibernation. Now they dig 'em.
Dubias would be my suggestion as they are natural food for tegus in the wild.

Rodents twice week I would say is an imperative. (3-4x probably won't hurt) I raise feeders and mine get rats at LEAST 2-3x a week. Turkey and organ meats like beef liver(usually found in the frozen section) and chicken hearts, etc. are great inbetween rats.

A good MVB light is needed with these critters too. There are many UV bulbs around but only a few worth messing with. I use MegaRay self ballasted exclusively as do many breeders and zoos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus