• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Difficult Decision

Frankb1

I'm looking to finally purchase my first tegu in summer of 2014 but I'm having a little struggle between choosing a Chacoan or a Red. I know Underground may have "high white reds" in 2014 which sound interesting but the Chacoan white heads are also very attractive. This will be my first tegu but I have some experience with other reptiles being redtail boa, ball pythons, bearded dragon, ornate uromastyx, Egyptian tortoises and iguanas. Would like any insight owners of either or both a Chacoan or Red tegu could give and which may be better for a first tegu.

Thanks for any advice.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There's no real difference between the two and both would be a good choice for a first tegu. What I would do is ask for photos of the parents and then choose the one that appeals to you the most. It is a pet that hopefully will be with you for over 10 years so it more important that you get you want. I think both are equally attractive, too. :)

bfb345

@Frankb1 The Reds for the most part do get bigger but it also depends on the chacoan which are also reffered to as Extreme giants either way they are still considered T. marainea it is the same with blue tegus. The reds are supposed to calmer, but once again it all depends on how much you work with them. but if you want a different red i would suggest a red x black and white hybrid they are very awesome. @laurarfl breeds them

Frankb1

@Frankb1 The Reds for the most part do get bigger but it also depends on the chacoan which are also reffered to as Extreme giants either way they are still considered T. marainea it is the same with blue tegus. The reds are supposed to calmer, but once again it all depends on how much you work with them. but if you want a different red i would suggest a red x black and white hybrid they are very awesome. @laurarfl breeds them

Thank you. Appreciate the heads up on the red/b&w crosses.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Personally, I prefer reds. They do tend to get larger, as Brenden said - and from my experience, the reds I had in the past had a calmer temperament even though their care mirrored that of all my other tegus that weren't reds.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It does depend. My adult reds are a bit skittish. I have hatchling red that is super calm. My b/w's are super sweet.....except for Hannibal.....my avatar...lol

Frankb1

I'm leaning towards a Chacoan white head or a regular Blk n White. I like the adult appearance better than the red. Also would consider a hybrid such as the blk n reds produced by Laurafl on this forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu