• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dilemma - Went From Hot to Cold - Now What?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I keep all three of my tegus outside but now I am faced with a real problem. I fed them a week ago when it was quite warm - not a lot, a few eggs and some shrimp. However, now the weather in MD went from upper 70's / low 80's to highs of 68 and lows in the 48 to 51 range. There was no transition in the temps. It went from hot to cold with nothing in between!

Of course, here is the problem; you're not supposed to hibernate your tegus until they've stopped eating for two weeks and have had the chance to defecate any fecal matter. But with temps so cold, they're not even coming out of their hides and digestion is probably slowed down.

Hibernating them now would be risky as they may still have food their digesting. Leaving them out for two weeks is not an option either with lows in the low 50's.

What should I do? I'm leaning on putting them in their rubbermaid tubs but movkng the tubs into the garage, observing them to see if they defecate for two weeks, and then hibernating them. Would this be the best approach? Any help would be appreciated.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We just had a cold snap hit here, i brought my two tegus in from outside and gave them a good warm soak. Both passed fecal after hitting the warm water. I like to fatten my tegus up before the winter so they are going hi-calorie right now, but i'd say in your case bring them in and hit them for a week or two, then hibernate will be the best bet.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
An indoor warm bath is my suggestion... warm water always tends to clearn out their system...

brutus13

chelvis said:
We just had a cold snap hit here, i brought my two tegus in from outside and gave them a good warm soak. Both passed fecal after hitting the warm water. I like to fatten my tegus up before the winter so they are going hi-calorie right now, but i'd say in your case bring them in and hit them for a week or two, then hibernate will be the best bet.
I agree nice warm bath!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214