• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Early guberty?

Ted

My 8 month old tegu (last post I way overcalculated his age) jorm is starting to be a bit. Mean. When I take him out usually he's a bit struggly but after that he's fine but now. He gets really aggressive. Two days ago he even urinated on me. Constantly flailing around. Yesterday he finally calmed down and immediately went to the restroom on my couch. So. He bit me for the first time last week, although he was hungry and admittedly I was being a bit stupid. He's getting really aggressive during feeding time. Biting at my fingers. Is this guberty? Or is he just turning into a little jerk.

LizardStudent

Likely guberty. You say he bites at your fingers, do you feed him with your hands? Or with tongs? If its mostly food aggression you could probably solve some of the aggression with re-thinking your feeding routine so he doesn't associate you interacting with him to mean food time

Ted

Likely guberty. You say he bites at your fingers, do you feed him with your hands? Or with tongs? If its mostly food aggression you could probably solve some of the aggression with re-thinking your feeding routine so he doesn't associate you interacting with him to mean food time
I feed him with stainless steel tongs, if it's vegetables or something ground (not super often that I feed him ground meats) I grab his food bowl and fill it then place it back down. In addition I've also given him click training, I use a dog training clicker to tell him when it's time to eat.

LizardStudent

I feed him with stainless steel tongs, if it's vegetables or something ground (not super often that I feed him ground meats) I grab his food bowl and fill it then place it back down. In addition I've also given him click training, I use a dog training clicker to tell him when it's time to eat.
Yeah then it's likely guberty setting in! Don't get discouraged, it will end. Just try your best to be patient and if he's being aggressive, put him away, take his food away, and try again later. Don't reward any bad behavior, but understand he can't help it

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like guberty to me too, but I do remember my male thrashing around one time, because he didn't want to go to the bathroom on me! Soon as I put him down, he went right away. Either that, or he's a little older than you thought?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu