• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

EMERGENCY

theonas

5 Year Member
just gone to give my tegu a bath,it appears to have just coughed up poo!!!!! also i have just noticed it can't seem to use one of his front legs....can't get a vet till tomorrow....has any one got any ideas....please

winter

5 Year Member
Is this the same tegu from your other thread that can't poop and had mucus from its nose the other day?
I'd definitely take to vet. I don't know what to do until you can get there.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Sounds like it may be seriously impacted. Have you tried gently rubbing his belly? Be gentle and feel his stomach for anything hard, proceed with caution, but perhaps you may be able to soften the impaction enough for it to pass.

Will need a vet ASAP most likely if symptoms don't get any better.

Try soaking him in warm water when you rub his belly. The water can be absorbed also if he is dehydrated. Definitely offer plenty of water for thirst.

What kind of substrate have you been using?

...Jefroka

theonas

5 Year Member
we have been on holiday,a friend looked after it. the substrate is peat.have been giving it daily baths and rubbing it's belly.been putting olive oil into it's mouth trying to lube the passages.can defo feel a lump in it's belly.waiting for a vet to ring back,having a real problems finding a reptile vet.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
What a drag, without knowing what the impaction is, you can only do so much. Sounds like you've done everything you can. Good luck finding a vet that can do him some good.

Keep us updated, and again, best of luck to you and your gu.

...Jefroka

theonas

5 Year Member
ok really can't find a reptile vet......probably due to the fact it is a bank holiday weekend!!!!!!! it is now sunday night in the uk...been trying since last night....even tried the local zoo but not even that is open till tuesday.OH MY GOD.....WHAT CAN I DO FOR HIM.............somebody please help i don't want to lose the little fella..............................i'm getting really scared he's gonna die......

Jefroka

5 Year Member
He may need to be operated on to remove the impaction, you need a vet, don't know what more to tell you. Best of luck.

...Jefroka

theonas

5 Year Member
spoken to a vet on the telephone.....quoted me around 400 english pounds if it has to have operation..........want all the money up front in one go...........haven't got that sort of cash..........don't want it to be put down..........what other options have i got?????? what else can i do for it???? somebody please help..........don't know what else to do.........

Anthony

5 Year Member
find out price of x ray just to see whats even wrong with em... tell the vet to have a heart and let u make payments.... good luck

winter

5 Year Member
I agree with Anthony, get the xray and exam to find out for sure what the problem is and how to treat it. It may be that surgery wouldn't fix this. You just don't know at this point. Then see if the vet will work with you on payments if it does come to surgery.
If its not gonna get better on its own and if you can't do the surgery, due to risk/finance issues, then putting it down may be your only option. Its not an easy choice to make even when a pet that you love is that sick.

Good luck with it.

theonas

5 Year Member
ok hopefully things are looking up!!!!! last night after another bath and lots of belly rubbing he finally started to poo ,then today in another bath and after another load of belly rubbing he really ley rip.some of the poo last night was solid and white with black bits in it with what looked like jelly on the end..... had a bit more of the solid white bit today but then very loose after that.still not eaten anything but i'm not that worried, i'm guessing it might not just be feeling up to it after the last fortnight........what do you guys think??? would love your input.

winter

5 Year Member
OMG. Thats such a relief. I've been worrying over your poor guy. I'm not an expert but I agree with you on he may just not be feeling up to it.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Sounds like he should be passing everything now, I would make sure your next feed has some cod oil, maybe something easy to go down like ground turkey, eggs, etc. Definately look into feeding in a seperate bin, I would honesty still look into getting an xray, to make sure it's internals are ok etc

Goodluck keep us posted

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Your basic staple should have cod liver in it. Bobby's site mentions it in the care section.

Oh, and muy congrats! :fiwo :wnw

...Jefroka

theonas

5 Year Member
well just to keep you guys up to date....he has just eaten a locust this morning....he has also had a little walk around.tried him on some ground chicken but he wasn't intrested.i dropped the locust in front of him and he just snapped it up....i'm guessing thats a sign that he is getting back to normal.how much should i be feeding him while he's getting better?don't want him to run before he can walk (so to speak!) would also just like to thank you all for your help.will keep adding my updates for you all.thanks again.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You need to add the cod liver oil to the diet, this will help keep him moving.

winter

5 Year Member
Thanks for the update. I don't know how much you should feed him. I don't think he'll try to overeat right now though. I see your concern with not wanting him to overdo it.

theonas

5 Year Member
well he ate some grapes yesterday.....and today when he had his bath he has passed the grape skin and what looks to be a bit of locust......only eating tiny amounts though,but it's better than nothing.....just glad he seems to be passing things ok.he has also been moving around a little bit more the past couple of days.......because last week he wasn't moving around at all.well that's it for now......will update in a few days.

theonas

5 Year Member
well this will probably be my last update on this subject.....as my little fella seems to be doing ok now.yesterday he ate a full box of small locust,10 waxworms coated in cod liver oil and some ground chicken.just want to say a big thank you again for all your help and support guys....cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu