• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Food preservation

Filphfio

5 Year Member
How long should ground turkey be left in the fridge before it goes "bad." Also I was thinking i could freeze individual meals for my lizards, but I am concerned that the freezing/thawing will destroy essential vitamins and enzyms that are in the meats. Is this a reason to only use fresh food or am I just parinoid?

Gx3

5 Year Member
I always just split it up into meal zip lock bags that have enough food for about 3 days and I keep them in the freezer and 1 in the fridge at a time.

i0r

5 Year Member
I also cut up and divide all meat for storage in my freezer(up to 2 weeks), then take out a portion and put it in the fridge one day before consumption. Then slightly thaw in lukewarm water so it's not too cold when served.
As for loosing vitamins. I think it's minimal. You'll compensate that with a touch of vitamin powder anyways.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i0r said:
I also cut up and divide all meat for storage in my freezer(up to 2 weeks), then take out a portion and put it in the fridge one day before consumption. Then slightly thaw in lukewarm water so it's not too cold when served.
As for loosing vitamins. I think it's minimal. You'll compensate that with a touch of vitamin powder anyways.
I do the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu