• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Gnats??

Draco D Tegu

Ok ....if you guys are using mulch, open the bags of mulch outside. Spread the mulch out on a tarp. Leave it out for a few hours, stir it up a time or two and Let the sun kill the midges/bugs/gnats and eggs in the mulch. More than likely it's springtails and gnats. They're pretty common in mulches.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am using a sand/soil mix that was stored outside prior to me getting it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got this advice from a member on another forum and decided to give it a try today.

"Here is a sure fire method that I have used with excellent results.
Take a condement container with lid (little ketcup cup) and poke some small holes in it.
Next take a Shell no-pest strip and cut into 1" squares, place one square in the container tape the lid all the way around...place it in your enclosure hanging from the ceiling on the cool side.
In no time there will be no flying insects left at all!
The great thing about this method is it does not effect the good little work horses (pill bugs, millipedes and centipedes) in the substrate.

Once your enclosure is clear take the container out and leave it on or near your enclosure to keep these little pests at bay.

I have never had any problems with my reptiles useing this method.

I hope this helps you."

I don't know how well it works, but I am hoping for the best. These things are getting out of hand.

babyyitslove

You all are not alone. I, too, have gnats. Well...my reptile room does. But they aren't too bad.... yet! Just a few here and there in the eco earth.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So after 2 weeks of using the method I posted on 8-25-11 I am about 99% gnat free. There are still a few stragglers that refuse to kick the bucket, but the majority are gone.

One thing I was worried about with this method, was the no-pest strips killing my Dubias. The guy I got the method from said I could move them if it worried me too much, but I didn't and they are all still alive. :)

Jwcorn126

Could you post a picture of one of these contraptions you made to help out? I do believe these are a seasonal pest...but they have become extremely bothersome around my cresties and tegu enclosure also. I would really like to get some of these things hung up to take care of them!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here you go..
GnatKiller1.jpg

GnatKiller.jpg

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It took about two weeks to get rid of them for me. Just make sure they are out of your reptiles reach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu